Connecting rod bearings

General chat about the car goes in here.
rontron
Your car is a: 1970 124 spider

Connecting rod bearings

Postby rontron » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:33 am

Long story short I put in a mechanical oil pressure gauge into my 70 spider because I got tired of looking a low oil pressure readings.
Two days went by with great pressure readings........but then the tube came out of the sender on the frwy and i lost oil pressure and screwed up the bearings because it happened on a merging overpass with no emergency lane so I had to keep it running until I got on the next frwy.

Eventhough I heard noise before I turned the engine off I jacked it up removed the motor mounts, pulled the pan, pulled the first rod journal cap and examined the bearing and crank. The crank didn't look scored so I put a new bearing in the bottom journal with a plastigauge and tightened it down and when I pulled it back off and measured it ......it was still in specs.........0015. So I cleaned and replaced all the connecting rod bearings and put it all back together and fired it up and I got no noise......even on rev rpms.......Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mark if you read this I'm getting rear end howling and I think its my third member because I replace the wheel bearings not that long ago,. Do you have or no where I can get another third member?

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Re: Connecting rod bearings

Postby So Cal Mark » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:36 pm

I might have a good diff
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

Return to “Fiat Spider Related”