2000 engine vs 1400

General chat about the car goes in here.
spiderdan
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1968 124 Sport Spider

Re: 2000 engine vs 1400

Postby spiderdan » Tue May 09, 2017 9:07 am

My 3 cents (Cdn $)
I like my 1438. It's fun to drive.
Sure there might be a little more shifting and a little more thought into what gears and when, but that's what makes it a classic.
My mechanic tries to convince me to put a 2L in it. "More torque, more speed..." More $ for him! LOL

It's not a race car, nor should it try to be, it's a sports car. I guess if I wanted a 2L Spider, I would have bought a 2L Spider. If I wanted to not think of shifting. I would have bought an automatic. If I wanted to race, I would have bought a race car.

There are probably some Model Ts out there with V8s but IMO there is nothing sweeter than seeing an original puffing smoke as it bellows down the road in its' original glory. Sure it's more work to drive and maintain but that's half the fun.
Fiat Spiders are not like most classic cars. Those with their original engines (#s matching) can be worth much more than comparable cars that have had their engines swapped. Not true for Spiders (yet).

There is a feeling of satisfaction I get when I attend shows/parades and I open my hood to other Spider lovers. They quickly observe that I have a stock example of a 1968 and appreciate it for what it is....a survivor.

Steve, it's your Spider and do what you want to it.
Just make sure it's dependable, safe to drive and you're having fun driving it.
Good luck.
Dan
1968 124 Sport Spider
"Angelina"
2015 Toyota Camry XSE (hers)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (cottage toy)
http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/68spi ... t%20Spider
http://www.youtube.com/user/Coontache/videos

spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Re: 2000 engine vs 1400

Postby spiderrey » Tue May 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Nothing wrong with that.

Return to “Fiat Spider Related”