"The Poor Man's Ferrari" article

Post any links that you think would be beneficial to the Fiat Spider enthusiasts here. Please keep the links on topic.
DUCeditor
Your car is a: 1977 FIAT 124 Sport Spider

"The Poor Man's Ferrari" article

Postby DUCeditor » Thu May 29, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi all,

I've been away from the forum for quite a while. Health issues have kept me off the road and limited much other activity. But my beloved Spider is never far from my mind, and my recent writing gig (something I can still do!) for PJ Media's "Lifestyles" section has given a chance to share a bit about our wonderful cars.

If you're interested the article can be found here: http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2014/05/28 ... s-ferrari/

Cheers!

-don
Italian motorcycles. An Italian car. An Italian wife. What more could a man desire?

Jimb
Your car is a: 1985.5 Volumex

Re: "The Poor Man's Ferrari" article

Postby Jimb » Thu May 29, 2014 2:38 pm

Neat video.
So, is the Ferrari then the rich man's Fiat?
Jim

DUCeditor
Your car is a: 1977 FIAT 124 Sport Spider

Postby DUCeditor » Thu May 29, 2014 3:07 pm

Jimb wrote:So, is the Ferrari then the rich man's Fiat?

Quite literally it is! :)

-don

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Postby TX82FIAT » Thu May 29, 2014 6:23 pm

Nice article and video. I always look internally and think about the "poor mans Ferrari" description of the FIAT Spider. Yes, it is a nice soundbite. But is it true? Ask yourself what motivated you to purchase of one of these classic little cars? Did it haven anything to do with the Ferrari name or was it the Italian look and feel. In my opinion the success of the Spider has nothing to do with the Ferrari name and everything to do with the technology and style put into an affordable car. The look, feel, and sound of the car is exceptional The way the car drives and handles is distincly Italian, Ferrari is one of many Italian cars. The styling by Pininfarina is not owned by Ferrari but often associated with Ferrari. In fact, the car designer frequently designed cars for Alfa Romeo, Peugeot, Fiat, GM, Lancia, and Maserati.

I like the idea of calling it "an economical and fun entry into Italian motoring". I think they even had an ad that said those words for the Spider 2000 back in the day. however, it just does not have the same ring. Can't let the facts get in the way of a good soundbite. So we are stuck with "Poor Mans Ferrari" in the same manner we are stuck with "Fix it Again Tony".
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

HersheyPAGreg
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider

Postby HersheyPAGreg » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Don, sorry to hear about your health issues, hopefully you're on the way to a complete recovery. I enjoy your posts, you've been missed!

Greg

V12StealthHunter
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby V12StealthHunter » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:18 pm

When I think "poor man's ferrari", I think more on the lines of a Mondial than a Fiat.
1971 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Return to “Related Web Links”