Big Brake Install question

Make it go fast! Kick it up a notch. Post tips in here.
jaymanire
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000

Big Brake Install question

Postby jaymanire » Thu May 19, 2016 11:57 pm

I've almost finished upgrading the suspension on my car. Now I'm considering a Big Brake upgrade as well (probably Mark's Wilwood kit). This may be a stupid question, but are those brake dust shields really necessary? If so, do I need to purchase bigger ones on account of the 10.25" rotors that come with the kit? In the process of breaking down the front end to replace the old suspension I destroyed the dust shields (which were in bad shape anyway). I just don't want to replace them if its not necessary, or at least replace with the right size, if recommended.

Thanks

Jay

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Re: Big Brake Install question

Postby So Cal Mark » Fri May 20, 2016 12:02 am

I haven't installed dust shields on any BBK installations
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

jaymanire
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000

Postby jaymanire » Fri May 20, 2016 9:14 am

Good to know. Thx Mark.

Jay

mpollock
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Postby mpollock » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:43 am

This is a question for Mark but likely has a wider appeal.

I have the Wilwood front big brake kit and now I'm looking to redo my rear brakes due to leaky calipers and poorly functioning e-brake. Is there a rear Wilwood brake kit in the works? It would be nice to have the Wilwoods on both the front and rear for consistency. Otherwise I'm going with the kit that's already available.

So Cal Mark

Postby So Cal Mark » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:17 pm

there is a Wilwood rear kit in the works. One reason is that the 500 kit only fits the 79 and newer rear ends. We're building a Wilwood kit for the earlier rear ends and it will also adapt to the later cars.
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!

toyfiats
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Postby toyfiats » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:42 am

So Cal Mark wrote:there is a Wilwood rear kit in the works. One reason is that the 500 kit only fits the 79 and newer rear ends. We're building a Wilwood kit for the earlier rear ends and it will also adapt to the later cars.

I know it's a bit early to be asking this, but do you think you might eventually develop a kit to fit the new Spider's brakes (particularly the rears) to the earlier Spiders? Would be kinda cool to have all "124" components on the car.

So Cal Mark

Postby So Cal Mark » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:01 pm

probably not, the new Spider has 17" wheels on it, so that would be required to fit the brakes. Those wheels look out of place on the old Spiders. We based the big brake kit on the 500 components because parts availability will be excellent for a very long time. And, the kit works so well that we don't see a need to go larger at this time
Mark Allison

MIGHTY 8
Your car is a: 1980 Spider

Postby MIGHTY 8 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:51 am

Greetings Mark,
Wanted to revive this post, as I recently saw a rear brake kit now available on your website.
Would you mind providing any updates on this kit, particularly overall improvements in conjunction with the front kits together?

Thanks

Return to “Performance”