Is there a more substantial air cleaner for single carb?

Make it go fast! Kick it up a notch. Post tips in here.
JohnMc
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat 124

Is there a more substantial air cleaner for single carb?

Postby JohnMc » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:20 pm

I have installed the one that I see advertised for the Weber carbs - but mine is twisting etc.
Has anyone found anything different?
I am going to change out my carb for the Weber DFEV - but hoped to get something more substantial on it.
1970 Spider

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Re: Is there a more substantial air cleaner for single carb?

Postby So Cal Mark » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:36 am

with some minor mods with a dremel tool you can retain your stock air cleaner
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

JohnMc
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat 124

Postby JohnMc » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:03 pm

Thank you very much Mark.

707kevin
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider

Postby 707kevin » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:05 pm

I've always wondered why FI car owners always search out cold air, while carb guys tend to be OK with the smallest filters right on top of the carbs.

I would guess that the coolest air with the least resistance would be best for carbs as well as FI, right?

bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Postby bradartigue » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:46 pm

707kevin wrote:I've always wondered why FI car owners always search out cold air, while carb guys tend to be OK with the smallest filters right on top of the carbs.

I would guess that the coolest air with the least resistance would be best for carbs as well as FI, right?

Cool dry air is wonderful....

On the FI (CS0) cars air enters through a box with a snorkle oriented to the cool outside air, though some owners put those K&N cone things on the hot side of the motor "for performance."

I think the small air filter thing on carbs is just because that's what people sell. A far better solution are those remote air filter things make for Webers, where a housing without a filter mounts to the top of the carb, then to a hose connected to a filter box on the cold side. While nifty it's pretty hard to make this work on some Spiders; early CS2 model 2000's even with good modifications are simply congested on both sides of the engine bay; routing a big old snorkle around and locating a remote air box is a bitch.

707kevin
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider

Postby 707kevin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:01 pm

That's sort of what I figured - working with whats available in the space available.

I've got 4' x 6' x 1/8" sheet of aluminum someone gave me and I need an excuse to start making things...

toplessexpat
Your car is a: 1976 Spider 1800

Postby toplessexpat » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:21 pm

Agree with the above.... Only extra is that many of the K&N setups also come with a snorkel to channel cooler air. There's also an enclosed filter "Apollo??" that you can duct cool air direct to.

One of our members (sptcoupe) has built a great airbox for the top of his twin 44s. It channels cool air direct from the front of the car to the top of his carbs.

A
---
Many classic Fiats - it's a disease!
www.mirafiori.com

TimpanogosSlim
Your car is a: 1977 124 Spider

Postby TimpanogosSlim » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:17 pm

It's all about the air resistance of the material used and the surface area.

cone filters look and sound cool but most of them have less surface area than the stock filter in a fuel injected car.

K&N and other oiled filters have less resistance by nature of being not as effective of a filter.

On my VW i use a Donaldson Powercore filter by way of a Volant intake system, which retains the factory ram air and adds a large scoop behind the headlight. It's both dry and hydrophobic (sheds water), and has more surface area than the stock filter.

It also lets me hear the diverter valve at low speed which is kinda cool.

The engineering isn't quite as elegant as the cyclonic air filter on my land cruiser, which naturally requires somewhere you can put a big round airbox (think round carburetor type airbox, then make it 3x taller) - which was why they stopped using them when they went to the V8 engine in 1998.

Anyway. One option is to use a cone or cylindrical type air filter and build your own enclosure for it. I've seen that done on a TDI Vanagon - using a cylindrical filter for an earth mover or something, in a big can, with plumbing to the intake vent.

toplessexpat
Your car is a: 1976 Spider 1800

Postby toplessexpat » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:57 pm

http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/apollo.htm

If anyone has installed one of these to either a FI or Carb'd car - I'd be interested to hear of their results.

On carbs - you can get a plenum to mount to the top of some of them, allowing you to duct air to it. Has anyone done that?

A
---
Many classic Fiats - it's a disease!
www.mirafiori.com

Return to “Performance”