New Carb/manifold and issues

Make it go fast! Kick it up a notch. Post tips in here.
Danno

New Carb/manifold and issues

Postby Danno » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:34 am

Well, as you all know I'm probably too green to take this one, but I have to if I ever want this spider to run again. I just got my rebuilt 32 ADFA carb in the mail and it's already sitting atop a NOS 1800 Manifold. Jon Logan was my goto guy for this. He also shipped me a gasket for the 1800 intake manifold and a nice little manual to go with the carb.

Here's one of my first obstacles, I figure it will be something rather easy to do, but I need to do it before i bolt stuff onto the engine and reduce my workspace in the engine bay.

The oil dipstick bolted to the intake manifold. Now it has nowhere to attach. How do I secure it now?

I searched all over fiat center for this info, and for some reason I can't load mirafiori's forum right now....

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Postby So Cal Mark » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:24 am

the 1800 had a bracket that bolted under the front bolts on the cam housing that secured the dipstick. See if Logan has one of those setups to finish off the conversion
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

Danno

Postby Danno » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:28 am

So Cal Mark wrote:the 1800 had a bracket that bolted under the front bolts on the cam housing that secured the dipstick. See if Logan has one of those setups to finish off the conversion

thanks mark, you'd think this would have come up with someone else before. I guess they are all smarter than I am.

Danno

Postby Danno » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:05 am

Issue #2: I was searching on Mirafiori.com a while back and from some notes on there I saw that I need two oil plugs in the "valley of the head."

I'm still looking at pictures and my manual and the only thing I'm seeing is the "air injector" if you have your manual it's page 10-128 #9, also seen in the picture below. It's also the air pump check valve seen on page 10-120.

Issue #3: Also saw "Remove tube that runs from the exhaust manifold into the head, use a standard sized fiat oil drain plug for this" I think I might see something in pictures as I review it now, but I don't remember (and I specifically was looking) there being any lines coming out of the exhaust manifold. where does it enter the head, might be able to trace it back.... i see a line in one of my pics that looks like it enters the front of the engine right under the passenger side valve cover. This should empty out on the other side of the engine (on its way to the EGR valve) maybe I can just plug it there and leave everything else in-tact?

ventura ace
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat 124 spider

Postby ventura ace » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:22 am

I ran into the same situation recently, when building a new 1.8L engine, and have the bracket shown in this picture
http://photobucket.com/albums/v26/ventu ... MSA004.jpg

I will look for this piece if you are interested. Shoot me an e-mail, ventura_ace@juno.com.

I decided on a different approach. I like the earlier style dipstick, and found a way to use it instead. The earlier style dipstick is a shorter version that seals down on the block (no riser tube). The problem is that the 1.8L block has a threaded hole in the block for the riser tube, and the early dipstick won't seal on the threaded hole. So, I modified the lower threaded piece (drilled it out bigger) so I could adapt to the early dipstick, . . . see this picture:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v26/ventu ... G_0916.jpg

alvon
Alvon Elrod; Ventura, CA
ventura_ace@juno.com
'70 124 spider, 1.8L modified

Danno

Postby Danno » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:44 am

i really like the looks of the first one! I think I can fabricate something rather easily, but I thought I'd see what others had done first. I just heard back from Jon:
Yup, you need a FI dipstic and front cam lift bracket with extention. I have 3 FI dipsticks but I don't have any front cam bracket that I know of (I will check tonight.) The 1800 dipstics had a bracket that mount to the lowwer cam tower bolts BUT they thread into the 2L block instead of press in with the rubber grommet. If you do a quick post at Mirafiori for a FI intake cam lift bracket with dipstic extension I am sure someone will have one. I will check my bin tonight.

So Cal Mark

Postby So Cal Mark » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:48 pm

you will need to plug the egr passage thru the front of the head, otherwise you'll have an exhaust leak
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!

spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Postby spiderrey » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:42 pm

ace, wont that set up give u a false reading on the oil level?

ventura ace

Postby ventura ace » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:58 pm

Yep, you are correctumondo, Rey. The dipstick position is about 3/4" higher than normal. So, the "add" mark is really my "full" mark, and I scratched another mark further down the dipstick to be the "add" mark.

alvon
Alvon Elrod; Ventura, CA
ventura_ace@juno.com

spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Postby spiderrey » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:58 pm

did u c what i did with my dip stick lol

ventura ace

Postby ventura ace » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:22 pm

no . . . and almost afraid to ask -- now that you put it that way!! So, what did you do with the dipstick? I need something to pick me up today.

alvon
Alvon Elrod; Ventura, CA
ventura_ace@juno.com

Danno

Postby Danno » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:04 pm

Issue #2: I was searching on Mirafiori.com a while back and from some notes on there I saw that I need two oil plugs in the "valley of the head."

OK, new picture of the top of the engine. I do now see two lines going into iit. One is as stated above: the air pump check valve and the other is the heater hose, right? Now why would I be plugging either of those things?

Issue #3: Also saw "Remove tube that runs from the exhaust manifold into the head, use a standard sized fiat oil drain plug for this" I think I might see something in pictures as I review it now, but I don't remember (and I specifically was looking) there being any lines coming out of the exhaust manifold. where does it enter the head, might be able to trace it back.... i see a line in one of my pics that looks like it enters the front of the engine right under the passenger side valve cover. This should empty out on the other side of the engine (on its way to the EGR valve) maybe I can just plug it there and leave everything else in-tact?

I'm an idiot. the line off of the exhaust manifold is as clear as day. the exit on the other side of the engine is also as easy to see (i knew that one though). Which do I need to block. Theoretically only one, right?
picture of exhaust side of this EGR line:

picture of the EGR line on the intake manifold side (far left hole with bolt hole beneath it):

So Cal Mark

Postby So Cal Mark » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:06 am

are you going to remove the air injection system?
Mark Allison

So Cal Mark

Postby So Cal Mark » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:07 am

and what's with the extra heater control valve?
Mark Allison

Danno

Postby Danno » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:39 am

So Cal Mark wrote:are you going to remove the air injection system?

Nope, not something I planned on doing. I swear I saw it on Miafiori that it was a part of changing the intake manifolds and carb, but that doesn't make any sense at all!!!! So, I can just leave that all alone, right?
So Cal Mark wrote:and what's with the extra heater control valve?

Hmmm, could that be why i don't see that in the manual? PO addition? Why would that even be there?

Return to “Performance”