Dents, dents and more dents

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
joelittel
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 FI

Dents, dents and more dents

Postby joelittel » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Lately it seems as though just looking at my car can/will dent it. Who knows what might happen if someone were to touch it.

Have any of you tried your hand at paintless dent removal?

I’ve watched a few videos and it seems like something I could learn to do... any thoughts?

Jimb
Your car is a: 1985.5 Volumex

Re: Dents, dents and more dents

Postby Jimb » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:06 am

In Victoria is a repair shop called Dentex. I've taken a number of cars to them and they do amazing work. If you find a similar service, the money spent is well worth it.
Jim

PhillySpider
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Postby PhillySpider » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:53 pm

I always get to know my daily drivers service manager...It helps as I know the PDR guy is at my dealer every Wednesday all day and charges the dealer $50 a panel...he also charges me $50 a panel, I roll up, find him in the lot, hand him cash and admire his work. Takes him 20 minutes, it's an amazing process. That light they use is the key!

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:50 pm

Local guy here that performs paintless dent removal comes to your place of employment or home and uses mostly a set of modified golf clubs to work out the dings and dents. He does some amazing stuff with the correct light, the golf clubs and his practiced hands.

Saw a Z28 that looked like it had been peppered at a driving range after a Tropical Hail Storm being so bad the owner thought the aluminum body panels were beyond hope and would require replacement and a full paint job. After a few hours and some detailing it looked better than it did when it first came off the showroom floor. He even repaired the parking lot chips using the stubs from a book of paper matches to apply paint he matched to it filing the chips and buffing them out so that the work was invisible.

Took the owner to lunch a few weeks ago and over ten years later it still looks great with no further repairs just regular washes and waxing along with the occasional clay bar treatment.

wubie317
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

Postby wubie317 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:05 pm

I bought the cheapo dent puller from Harbor Freight (hot glue gun and puller thing) and it did good work on a deep dent from a jackass who left a 20" dent on my side when parking his truck. Not perfect by any stretch, but decent. I think one needs a lot of practice to be good at it.

Return to “Cosmetics”