hood not aligning

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
grasshopper
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat Spider

hood not aligning

Postby grasshopper » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi all. I have a 76 Spider i bought that I am slowly getting road worthy again. When I got the car, the hood was not aligning to the fenders very well. I took the hood off to replace the engine. Now that I have the hood back on, the alignment is even worse ! The passenger side seems to have like a half inch gap from hood to fender, and the drivers side is actually overlapping over to the fender itself ! I have tried to adjust the hood brackets up and down, back and forth, but the problem is still there. Could it be that the brackets may be slightly bent ? Any advice would be appreciated thanks !

Odoyle
Your car is a: 1983 Pinafarina Spider

Re: hood not aligning

Postby Odoyle » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:26 pm

Grasshopper, check to make sure you have there are the original brass washer between each bracket where it meets the hood hinge. Check to make sure hinges are not bent as well. There are two pin holes on each side of the hood mounting section (on hood). You can clean the holes with a small punch, so you are able the grease the hinges while the hood is installed. Also installation with two people is a must.

grasshopper
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat Spider

Re: hood not aligning

Postby grasshopper » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:49 pm

Thanks for reply. I'm not sure what you are talking about though. Does anyone have any pictures of how this is supposed to look like or these brass spacers that you speak of ?

Return to “Cosmetics”