Spider Odor

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
DUCeditor
Your car is a: 1977 FIAT 124 Sport Spider

Spider Odor

Postby DUCeditor » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:28 am

Some years ago I had a friend who was a true expert Fiat mechanic. He'd learned his trade in Rome Italy before moving to the USA.

Among the surprising insights he shared with me is that Fiats have a unique smell. He said that you could sit him in a Fiat with his eyes closed and he'd immediately know that it was a Fiat by that odor.

When I used to regularly show my `77 I came to see that was true. Well, at least for old Spiders. They all smelled uniquely the same. -Like one-another, and unlike any other car.

Why? I dunno. The plastics and adhesives used? That mixed with the scent of the oil that had leaked out onto the exhaust manifold. All of it cried out "Spider!"

Such never bothered me. Well, until this year. And I expect that is because this past Winter's mice habitation had been a bit worse than usual. They'd, among other things, built a nest in the glove box. And mice being mice they'd "soiled" it.

I'd cleaned out every visual trace of their presence, but even with the top down the odor was there.

Until this weekend past. When I used this:

I used it almost everywhere. I emptied the glove box and sprayed it on. Did the carpets. Did under the back "seat." Did the entire trunk. Sprayed it on, let it sit, wiped it off, let it dry.

"Out!" isn't a cover up. It is an anti-bacterial, enzyme powered, remover that breaks down odorific components. And it really works.

Maybe you kind'a like your Spider's unique scent. But if not Out! is the answer!

:)

-don
Italian motorcycles. An Italian car. An Italian wife. What more could a man desire?

DUCeditor
Your car is a: 1977 FIAT 124 Sport Spider

Re: Spider Odor

Postby DUCeditor » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:19 pm

Just as a follow up to my own post (above), this "fix" seems lasting. A full week later and the odor remains completely gone, and that after the mild 'cover' scent has disappeared.

A long run still puts a bit of the old 'oil on the manifold' smell. But that's a far cry from the off-putting scent left my the mice, dampness, and/or whatever over the years.

-Don
Italian motorcycles. An Italian car. An Italian wife. What more could a man desire?

spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Postby spider2081 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Have used a similar product, agreed they work well. The rancid odor of mice urine can be eliminated with these products.
Thanks for the post.

AriK
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Postby AriK » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:25 am

I got rid of the odor when i gutted the interior Por15'd the floors and shampoo'd the carpets on the driveway. That was in 2014. I thought i got a whiff of the odor when the top was up overnight at FFO. Finally! That sweet odor may be returning, but it surely is not mice excrement.

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Postby TX82FIAT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Arik, I'm with you. In 2013 I cleaned all the old floor insulation out, POR15'ed and then added a layered of sound deadner. Put new carpets in and the odor disappeared from my Spider. I miss that Old spider odor. About a month ago the car was stored for a couple weeks with top our and windows up. When I got in it, for just a brief moment, I thought I smelled the old Spider Smell and it brought a huge smile to my face.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Postby seabeelt » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:03 pm

Odorban is another great product. I suspect its the same stuff, just different mfr Works GREAT!
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current

Return to “Cosmetics”