Recovering sun visors

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
micbrody
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 fiat 2000

Recovering sun visors

Postby micbrody » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:08 pm

When I bought my car 2 years ago, it did not have sun visors. I purchased a used set; however, the coating/vinyl was slightly torn at mounting sites; but more annoying was the green powder that would continuously trickle out on the black dashboard and carpet (and with static electricity) was always stuck to something.

I had "brilliant" plan: I irrigated with water all the green powder out via the mounting holes. I then injected expandable insulation foam inside visor; keeping visor clamped between two boards at a certain thickness until foam cured. Excess foam came out of other hole.
When done they looked great; I mounted them; and I was very happy.........for about 48 hrs. I went out of town; came back a few days later: I guess the foam had not cured the first time: each visor had a huge foam tumor.......actually looked funny..... visor "tumor" must have been 8 inches in diameter!

I then decided to try again: I stripped visor down to metal frame. Went to Joanne Fabrics and bought foam arts and craft sheets; and vinyl fabric.
With adhesive spray: I wrapped foam around metal frame:

I then glued the edges; trimmed the foam.

I then sprayed adhesive on foam and wrapped vinyl fabric in same fashion

I then trimmed foam to just past metal edge(but edges of foam still glued). I trimmed vinyl slightly longer; bent each edge over itself and glued the two folded edges together :

Though seam in photo doesn't look great, it's really not that noticeable because the longest seam not seen because mounted next to window. The free edge is clean because it's the wrapped around part.

Thanks for inspiration, Wizard124

Fiatbill
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124

Re: Recovering sun visors

Postby Fiatbill » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:29 pm

Thank you for letting me know of a way to do this - I have some old ones that I need to repair.

micbrody
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 fiat 2000

Postby micbrody » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:46 pm

I haven't done the following; but if seam still bothers me, I tried the following in a scrap of vinyl:
I made the double-folded over seam with scrap piece. I then, with painters tape, taped off the seam from rest of fabric, just exposing the actual 3-5 mm of seam. I then "painted" the seam with "liquid electrical tape" from Harbor Freight. It dried non-tacky with a matte finish. I think it would work to clean this edge up

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:03 am

I plan on making the new visor covers like a pillow case with a zipper on the outer ends so I can just slide them on and zip them up or possibly with a slightly longer flap and some Velcro for adjustability.

A sewing machine is still a power tool just don't stitch your fingers.

Return to “Cosmetics”