Cleaning Up The Engine Bay Questions

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
davery
Your car is a: 1985 Spider

Cleaning Up The Engine Bay Questions

Postby davery » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:26 pm

I started cleaning up the engine bay a week ago and had a few questions. I removed a valve cover and wanted to paint them and the throttle body. I actually wanted to polish them, but after a few minutes of wet sanding I noticed several areas of pitting. I noticed a few pics in the forum where these are painted the same color as the car. Is this just regular body paint? I had a few rattle cans of the body color mixed up a few years ago and was wondering if I could use that? If not I will probably just go with crinkle black.

Next question. I have the radiator out and was wanting to paint the timing belt cover. Does a pulley have to be removed to remove the timing belt cover?
Don Avery
Dayton, OH/Sarasota,FL
1985 Pininfarina
2011 Eos
2012 Mercedes E550 Cabriolet

AriK
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Re: Cleaning Up The Engine Bay Questions

Postby AriK » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:41 pm

You should use a heat resistant paint for those covers. I got excellent results just sanding with rough paper 80 grit, going to less rough and eventually ending off with 1000 and polish. There's still minor pitting but in my opinion the chrome like finish beats any paint. Need much patience and time for that though.
I dont remember removing any pulleys for that belt cover, only the belts themselves and that water outlet at 12 o'clock for which you'll need a gasket.

davery
Your car is a: 1985 Spider

Re: Cleaning Up The Engine Bay Questions

Postby davery » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:17 pm

AriK wrote:You should use a heat resistant paint for those covers. I got excellent results just sanding with rough paper 80 grit, going to less rough and eventually ending off with 1000 and polish. There's still minor pitting but in my opinion the chrome like finish beats any paint. Need much patience and time for that though.
I dont remember removing any pulleys for that belt cover, only the belts themselves and that water outlet at 12 o'clock for which you'll need a gasket.

This might be the time to remove the unused compressor and belt.
Don Avery
Dayton, OH/Sarasota,FL
1985 Pininfarina
2011 Eos
2012 Mercedes E550 Cabriolet

Return to “Cosmetics”