Want to get show ready questions?

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
RMaxfield
Your car is a: 1984 Pininfarina Azzurra

Want to get show ready questions?

Postby RMaxfield » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:27 pm

I am in the process of getting show ready. What products for car care are suggested? I know there are many brands. Looking for opinions.

Robert

azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: Want to get show ready questions?

Postby azruss » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:29 pm

for polishing compounds and polishes, I've been using Mequires along with their foam pads with a DA style polisher. Not a fast polisher but easy to control. Works great on stainless. All your door trim and wing window frames are stainless and polish up like new.

dreavis
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 1800

Re: Want to get show ready questions?

Postby dreavis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:37 am

I wasn't getting ready for a show, but when I bought my car I thoroughly detailed it to get it looking good and make it easier to keep it that way. Here are a few of things I did/used:
For rubber, dash, console, vinyl top, seats, etc., I used Mother's VLR. Except on the rubber bumper parts and exterior rubber seals. For those I used Mother's Back to Black
For all the metal trim on the car, inside and out, I used Maas metal polish. Chrome looked awesome and the stainless came back to life. This was critical for the wheels. (I have the 13" steel wheels.)
I had paint issues so I started with a good wash followed by clay bar. I then went to 2000 grit sandpaper in spots and then worked through a compound, polish, and wax. I used Meguire's compound and polish and Mother's synthetic wax. I followed this with Mother's detailer, which really brings out a deep shine.
For the rear window I used a Meguire's plastic restorer on both sides to remove oxidation, scratches, etc. It came out much clearer. (I never drive with the top up so it probably doesn't matter)
Almost any wet-look tire shine will work - can't remember which one I used.
I agree with the earlier post that a DA polish/buffer is a great investment. I did most of the work initially by hand and then got a DA and was able to get better results in a fraction of the time. (I got one for $54 on sale at Harbor Freight and it works fine.)
My car has the red carpet which had faded to a lovely pink over the years. I used a medium-stiff brush and brushed the carpet as I vacuumed and it made the carpet cleaner and darker.
If you are Costco member, I highly recommend their package of microfiber towels. They are thick and large and are the best thing for almost every job I've mentioned.
One other point about the wheels...the painted part of my steel wheels looked pretty bad and I had convinced myself to get some new wheels. Instead, I used the compound/polish/wax treatment and they came out great.

Like an idiot I neglected to take any before and after pictures, but I have literally never driven my car (Francisco (My daughter named him)) without getting a compliment. Part of that is because the spider is a beautiful car, but I also think it's because of all the stuff I've done to make it look good.

Return to “Cosmetics”