My sun visors have a flaccidity problem

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
moses
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

My sun visors have a flaccidity problem

Postby moses » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:06 pm

So my '76 CS1 has got a few issues - rough idle, rear suspension needs overhauled, cooling problems. All of those will be addressed soon, but there's a much more pertinent problem that needs immediate fixing:

The sun visors won't stay up. Now I'm no doctor, but I think they have a name for this. On most cars, it wouldn't bother me that much, but I'm a taller guy and they completely block my view of the road. At this point I've resorted to using a small strap to hold them upright and I'm too young for a prescription for that little blue pill.

All jokes aside, I can't seem to figure out if there's a way to tighten them. Anyone know how?

v6spider
Your car is a: 4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider

Re: My sun visors have a flaccidity problem

Postby v6spider » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:51 pm

There are two screws..one at each end, that you can tighten to stiffen them up... no pun intended! Squirt some wd40 on them before you attempt it though. I broke one of mine..

Rob
http://www.v6spider.com
4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider

johndemar
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby johndemar » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:44 am

It is a frustration with the sun visors. I found a solution for mine, other than taking them off entirely.
I gently tapped copper tubing that fit snugly male bracket attached to the windshield.
The copper is soft enough to stretch over the peg and gave added grip to hold the visor.
Been working for the most part for several years now. Although when the top is down and I have the visors all the way up, 65 to 70 MPH will push them half way back down. But never completely falling down.
76 Fiat 124 Spider
One owner since July 20, 1976
Amadio Motor, Jeannette, PA

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:18 am

v6spider wrote:There are two screws..one at each end, that you can tighten to stiffen them up... no pun intended! Squirt some wd40 on them before you attempt it though. I broke one of mine..

Rob

If you do not clean and lube the pins and adjustable sleeves inside the visor the pins will wear down pretty fast after you adjust them. I used wax to lubricate them so you can adjust them tight without creaking and grinding. They stay up even at 70+ mph.

v6spider

Postby v6spider » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:44 am

johndemar wrote:It is a frustration with the sun visors. I found a solution for mine, other than taking them off entirely.
I gently tapped copper tubing that fit snugly male bracket attached to the windshield.
The copper is soft enough to stretch over the peg and gave added grip to hold the visor.
Been working for the most part for several years now. Although when the top is down and I have the visors all the way up, 65 to 70 MPH will push them half way back down. But never completely falling down.

I like this idea.. I have some thin brass sheeting that I could easily make bushings from..

Thanks!
Rob

v6spider

Postby v6spider » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:28 pm

v6spider wrote:
johndemar wrote:It is a frustration with the sun visors. I found a solution for mine, other than taking them off entirely.

I like this idea.. I have some thin brass sheeting that I could easily make bushings from..

Thanks!
Rob

Tried it and it worked!
Cheers!
Rob

Return to “Cosmetics”