Convertible top repair

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
Turbofiat124
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 turbo

Convertible top repair

Postby Turbofiat124 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:30 pm

Sorry no photos but you may get the idea. I may take some shots tomorrow and post.

About five years ago where the black material and the rear window meet has split in two places. One at the top and one at the bottom about 3" long. I did a redneck repair using clear silicone and clear packing tape. It has actually held up and keeps the water out but of course looks awful. The top and window itself actually doesn't look all that bad. The other day I rubbed some Bondo restore (sort of like black shoe polish) on the top and it looks great.

I had the original vinyl top replaced back in 1993 so it's probably been living on borrowed time for quite some time. It's weird how convertible tops will degrade. The original top did the same thing but the rear window had clouded up, then cracked and then one day when I went to put the top up and the entire top basically fell apart. The black material split at the bows.

I've seen some tops not even make it 3 years before they give up the ghost.

Anyway I found this stuff called CABRIODOC on Ebay and wondered if anyone has ever used it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Convertible-Sof ... ZZ&vxp=mtr

Return to “Cosmetics”