Rockauto Canvas Top... HELP!

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
Wrenchtime
Your car is a: White 1972 Spider

Rockauto Canvas Top... HELP!

Postby Wrenchtime » Sun May 22, 2016 7:24 pm

So... I'm new to these Fiats and convertibles. Picked out a sweet white canvas top from Rockauto since I was already ordering a ton of stuff.

Started to actually put it on the frame today and it's been a challenge. :?

Just wondering if anyone has installed one of these tops before? Any success? My primary beef is overall fitment and it seems like there's no way in hell that these wouldn't leak like a sieve! I can't seem to get the top pulled back far enough to install the two rivets in the chrome strip on the B pillar. At best, with the top locked down the canvas flap meets the chrome, but there is zero overlap. I could probably rivet it with the top pulled back, but I think it would be damaged when I forced it forward to latch it...

I'm about to cave and get a shop to do what they can, so any recommendations in the Detroit area are appreciated! :)

I also have a roll hoop which is complicating matters pretty significantly.

Any comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks! Was really hoping to be on the track Sunday...

124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Re: Rockauto Canvas Top... HELP!

Postby 124JOE » Tue May 24, 2016 7:38 pm

leak,yes most do
also are you sure you bought one for a 72?
as the top bow is just a bit different
does it fit to the back?
you may fashion a couple of filler peices and stich them in place then rivet them
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com

v6spider
Your car is a: 4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider

Postby v6spider » Wed May 25, 2016 11:39 am

Mine doesn't leak. Of course my top is a IAP high end sunfast top, but you should be able to install it providing it is cut for your frame and have it not leak. Use good seals.. Make sure you treat the canvas with some scotchguard.

Cheers!
Rob
http://www.v6spider.com
4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Postby TX82FIAT » Wed May 25, 2016 2:19 pm

It does not leak by the standards it was built. Even the best top will have a little water makes its way in the Spider using one of the pressure washer or drive through car washes. The Rock Auto top, assuming you ordered by year and they know the differences in the header bow. Who is the manufacturer?
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

georgeramos
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider 1608

Postby georgeramos » Thu May 26, 2016 1:38 am

Rock auto has tops? .if properly installed and the proper year they shouldn't leak.

Return to “Cosmetics”