Right Rear Quarter Panel

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
wubie317
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

Right Rear Quarter Panel

Postby wubie317 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:36 pm

I was just browsing AR's site and came across a reference to a "removable" right rear quarter panel replacement in ABS plastic. In the heady early days of owning my Spider, I purchased a steel one from Wolf, but thought it would be something I'd need a body shop to do. Is it a user-replaceable part or is there welding etc. involved? Anyone have experience with this?

blazingspider
Your car is a: 1977 fiat spider

Re: Right Rear Quarter Panel

Postby blazingspider » Tue May 03, 2016 5:41 am

The quarter panels are attached with screws.

ebrown0104
Your car is a: 1977 Spider

Postby ebrown0104 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:44 pm

The replacement quarter panel from AR is just the small piece behind the wheel well. It's about 6 inches tall and wraps around the rear corner of the car. There are about 5 or 6 phillips head screws that hold it on. The complete quarter panel would be basically the whole side of the car behind the door, and that would be a weld-on item.

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Sat May 07, 2016 1:32 am

This is the right rear quarter panel which needs to be welded in:

While this is the Screw-On extension that is mounted below the quarter panel and wraps around to the valence below the rear bumper (notice the notch for the rear bumper mount/shock):

wubie317
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

Postby wubie317 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:07 pm

ebrown0104 wrote:The replacement quarter panel from AR is just the small piece behind the wheel well. It's about 6 inches tall and wraps around the rear corner of the car. There are about 5 or 6 phillips head screws that hold it on. The complete quarter panel would be basically the whole side of the car behind the door, and that would be a weld-on item.

How do you access those screws? I can't seem to see them from underneath, but then again, there's a bit of a mess from an accident and bent things all over the place.

Odoyle
Your car is a: 1983 Pinafarina Spider

Postby Odoyle » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:51 pm

There are two screws under the bumper shock boot, one on the bottom of the panel, and an 8mm nut inside the wheel well which is probably buried under undercoating.

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:45 am

wubie317 wrote:
ebrown0104 wrote:The replacement quarter panel from AR is just the small piece behind the wheel well. It's about 6 inches tall and wraps around the rear corner of the car. There are about 5 or 6 phillips head screws that hold it on. The complete quarter panel would be basically the whole side of the car behind the door, and that would be a weld-on item.

How do you access those screws? I can't seem to see them from underneath, but then again, there's a bit of a mess from an accident and bent things all over the place.

Many have been enhanced by previous owners. A previous owner did the popular bondo repair and filled in the seam between the two halves making mine more difficult to deal with also. It's on my todo list of items to tidy up on the car. Sometimes I feel like that proverbial mosquito in the nudist colony trying to decide "Where do I begin?" Fortunately I can't see them while driving the car.

Return to “Cosmetics”