Engine Bay Gallery! Please add your own!

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
snakeknuckles
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: Fiat 1982

Re: Engine Bay Gallery! Please add your own!

Postby snakeknuckles » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:14 pm

architect
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat Spider

Postby architect » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Anyone want to sell their chrome valve covers? :shock: :mrgreen:
78 Fiat 124

vdesigner99
Your car is a: 1984 Pinanfarina spyder

Postby vdesigner99 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Here is my 84 pininfarina.

and car:
still much to work on.
1971 MGB Roadster (sold)
1977 fiat 124 (sold)
2010 Prius
2001 Sequoia
2006 20' REgal bowrider boat.
1984 Pinanfarina

davery
Your car is a: 1985 Spider

Postby davery » Fri May 26, 2017 9:33 am

Before

After

Now if I can just figure out why the lo beams and front side lights are not working.
Don Avery
Dayton, OH/Sarasota,FL
1985 Pininfarina
2011 Eos
2012 Mercedes E550 Cabriolet

jagonza
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124

Postby jagonza » Fri May 26, 2017 9:46 am

How do you add engine oil ?? where is your fill opening ??
1977 Fiat 124 - Frankenstein engine
1999 VW Cabrio - Stock
1988 Fiero GT
And a couple of Daily Drivers

davery
Your car is a: 1985 Spider

Postby davery » Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm

jagonza wrote:How do you add engine oil ?? where is your fill opening ??

On the FI engines the cam covers are reversed. On carbed engines the oil cap is passenger side front, on the FI engines the oil cap is drivers side back.
Don Avery
Dayton, OH/Sarasota,FL
1985 Pininfarina
2011 Eos
2012 Mercedes E550 Cabriolet

njoconnor
Your car is a: 1972 124 Spider

Postby njoconnor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Over the last couple of years, we've met one of Madison's original Fiat mechanics (ex-Fiat of Fitchburg) while we showed the 72 at the Botham Vineyard's annual Vintage Celebration. Each of the last three years, he's noticed the annual changes, and gently made suggestions for the next year. Last year, it was direct: "Neil, you really have to clean up that engine compartment, especially the wiring and those cam box covers!" What he saw:

and:

(PS: the air cleaner wasn't THAT rusty; bad lighting or something.... :oops: ).

After a lot of reading on the various forums, planning and sequencing, and some excellent help from Ari K (Merci tres beaucoup, mon ami!) on polishing cam boxes, and Csaba on hoses and other worries, Patty and I rolled the following out the door this afternoon:

and

and

Essentially pulled the various parts out of the compartment, cleaned, degreased, and repainted the compartment walls, and all of the metal brackets, holders, and of course, the radiator. Corralled up the wiring, installed wiper relays (ignition set is in a couple of weeks). New coolant hoses, and the de riguer "T" for burping. Fired up, got to operating temp in good order, and ran beautifully between storm cells this afternoon.

Needs a good cleaning inside and out, and then it's ready for Freakout 2017! See you there!

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
14 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Eco-Diesel
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe
and a host of Audi's, Saabs, VW's, MOPAR's, Fords, and a Bimmer....

AriK
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Postby AriK » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:34 pm

You are very welcome Neil. Your engine compartment has come a long way with the cleaned up cam covers and your new color theme. I've never seen wire loom protectors come in that color. I'm also eyeing your fancy rad hose clamps and your Die Hard battery. It used to be my battery of choice, back in the 80s, rated as the best battery on the market. Several years ago Sears Canada sold off their auto service centers bringing the Die Hard to sudden extinction. (in any case Sears Canada filed for bankruptcy protection last month so it looks like we'll be losing the brand altogether.)
How did you accomplish sprucing up the firewall and the area where the VIN numbers are stamped into the cowl, short of removing the engine, or did you, or is it your secret that you will take with you???
Seems my fantasy of attending FFO '17 won't materialize due to boys being unable to attend. I still have not cancelled the hotel, so unless i track down other Fiat fellows that i can tag along with along the same route i'll be withdrawing from the trip. I'm sure hell not roadtripping that distance without other Fiat support. Only a few days left until registration closes :(

njoconnor

Postby njoconnor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Ari: the secret to the firewall painting: a 1/2 inch angled sash brush, and self leveling enamel! There. I've admitted it. I paint (some things) with a brush! :oops:

Rattle canned most of it, but the brush and some finish sanding where needed took care of the rest. Slow and easy was the guiding principle. There's more I may do, in bits and pieces over the next few years, but I'm not going for concours, just "nice looking". I think I'm almost there.

The wire looms were strictly by coincidence. Was picking up sand paper at O'Reilly's Auto, turned around, and .....yeah, buy some! The hose clamps are inspired by Csaba's recc's on their website. A little overkill, but can't find a leak yet (and just checked the levels in the rad and the T: no losses/bubbles!).

Sorry you guys won't make Milwaukee.... :cry: ; was looking forward to meeting you all. If next year is in an interesting place, Patty and I may consider trailing the car there. Don't blame you for not wanting to go it alone; yet.....I recall thinking it was nothing to jump in my old 124 coupe and head out for San Antonio, or multiple holiday trips home from Washington DC to Wisconsin. 'Course I was much younger then.....

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe

AriK
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby AriK » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:56 am

Wow Neil, I never remotely imagined it possible to attempt that while the motor is still in and not get paint all over the place. I always imagined spraying is the way to go. It must be tedious. How do I know if paint is self levelling? Tremclad and rustoleum have the correct shades of red which match my paint. Are they self levelling?

njoconnor

Postby njoconnor » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Ari: I used Rustoleum Sail Blue, which was very close to my exterior color, and gave a little contrast to the outside of the car. 2 years ago, I experimented with this paint and the spray/brush technique on parts of the trunk. While not mentioned on the cans, I found the Rustoleum does, in fact, self level as long as the recommended temps/humidity levels are followed. I did paint a section (unseen) when it was too cold/dry, and got more runs than usual. The occasional drip was sanded (had all that nice fine grit paper from the cam box work!), and lightly touched up. The trunk turned out so well, I decided to eventually do the engine compartment. Again, no where near concurs, but I was never going that far in any event.

If the engine had needed any work, yeah, I'd have pulled it and done the compartment the usual way. But the engine was rebuilt 5 years and about 3000 miles ago by the PO's mechanic. No reason to pull it.

I'd try on an unseen part of the car, and make sure you like the results. Then....with steady hand and wiping rages close....go for it!

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe

AriK
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby AriK » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Come to think of it i had excellent results with Rustoleum on parts unseen on the car (southernmost part of the lower grill, on the floor on my back). Did it 3-4 yrs ago, still looks pristine, mind you i prepped it properly so that i never need to place myself in that vulnerable position with a wet dripping red paint brush hovering over my face. (Imagine the mess i could make and then scare the crap out of my loved ones?) Looking at it now it doesnt look like it was brushed on. Yeah!
Regarding the engine compartment, your advantage is that yours is a 72. Forget it on a '79 for obvious reasons. The firewall could be rusted out and non existant, or painted with pink polka dots, nobody would ever know it.

Return to “Cosmetics”