REPLACEMENT CONVERTIBLE TOP

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
DanD
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Re: REPLACEMENT CONVERTIBLE TOP

Postby DanD » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:52 pm

I'd buy a vinyl top like your old one, and I'd get a cheap car cover. Cover the top when it is up in the sun whenever possible.

You already know the sun is going to do a number on your top, so putting a ton of money into a top isn't going to really pay for you, and the vinyl tops are durable and tough. The thing is, they are more prone to cracking the rear window out in temperatures under 50 degrees than they are having problems in the heat. BUT - the heat ages the plastic window, and makes it more brittle in the cold. If you know it is going to get colder, and you want your top up, put it up before it gets cold. Don't put it down until it gets warm. That is how you will get maximum life out of your top.

Decent quality vinyl tops are decent. I haven't really seen the ultra cheap ones since the JC Whitney days, and for whatever reason, tops are as affordable now as they were 30 years ago. Buy a recommended brand, and you will be OK. Don't over think this. You aren't going to get twice the value out of a super expensive top. they are for people who show cars, have garages, and like the look of cloth.

millertraci
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby millertraci » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:08 pm

Thanks DanD

Sound logic and sort of what I suspected. I practice the warm weather top down method when the temps are still below frying me. The cracks in the window and in the rear canvas, once started, just always get bigger. I have an design in my head for a hood I can sew for the parking lot at work, just to cover the top and keep the sun from baking the interior as well and I am going to try a combo of that and a new cheap top this go around.
I appreciate the suggestion.

MikeAyuso
Your car is a: 1984 Pinifarina Azzurra Spider

Postby MikeAyuso » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:34 pm

Hello all,

I am planning to purchase a vinyl top for my 1984 fiat spider but it does not come with the framing, rubber edges for the side windows etc. Where can i find instructions how to replace it so i know what I'm getting into before i purchase. I see the framing is somehow part of vinyl.

Regards from Belize,
Mike
Mike Ayuso
Vista Del Mar, Belize
1984 Pininfarina Azzurra Fiat Spider
2006 BMW X3 3.0i
2006 Scion XB

Return to “Cosmetics”