Cutting Springs

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
lanciahf

Re: Cutting Springs

Postby lanciahf » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:04 pm

Carlito

The reason why your car is so hi in the air is because of the gas shocks. Replace them with Konis and the ride hide will drop. Alfa Spider owners have the same problem when they use Bilsteins.

As a test you can remove your shocks set the car on the ground and check the ground clearance again, I'm sure it will drop.

Ralph

Carlito wrote:Hi guys:-)

First of all I must say that I really love this forum!!!

I've been a Spider freak for some years now.. had a few.. but finally have a chance to modify one the way I like (mainly due to the fact that I finally!!!!.. have a spacious garage for this project!!)
So I'm trying to do everything right and be as precise as possible!:-)
My 78 Spider is almost ready for paint now.
As many of you here, I don't like the way how high it sits either.

Here are some pix:

First day in my new garage:-)

ALL PIX ARE TAKEN WITH THE CAR SITTING ON THE GROUND!
After removing both tubular bumpers (will never go back on the car!), the wheel well/tire distance is about 5.5"

Bump stop/rear axle distance is about 4".

and the front sits at 4.5" (engine still in)!!!

So I'm considering buying a set of new lowered springs (probably German made). My question is if I still might leave the existing Bilsteins in place (they look pretty long... seems to me!) or I'd have to go for new shocks as well..

What's your take on this?
Thanks for your input!!:-)

Work in progress.....:-)

Carlito:-)
Currently residing in The Czech Republic, Europe

MNspiderman

Postby MNspiderman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:10 am

Hey Tulsaspider if you want even skinnier tires, go to walmart and check out the tires for trailers... :mrgreen: just kiddin' but dam those are skinny.

Carlito
Your car is a: 78 124Spider

Postby Carlito » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:14 am

Thanks a lot for your advice, Ralph! :wink: Sounds like a good way to test the clearance. Will do.. Carlito

Fonz

Postby Fonz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:08 pm

I want to cut my springs but I'm scared that If I trim too much the car will be sitting on the shocks. The ride is very stiff over rough roads as is, so I guess my question is how much is too much? I was thinking 2 coils...

jpmilesdds

Postby jpmilesdds » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:09 pm

jpmilesdds wrote:New question about cutting springs:
I have IAP' lowering springs front and rear. I wanted the car lower yet, so I cut one rung off each. The cars sits nicely now, but I'm not sure the springs are seating properly in the upper and lower locators. At the back, the plastic/rubber seats are completely mangled and the springs in droop move all over the place. At the top. the springs can seat on the rim of the locating platform rather than around its circumference. I haven't found replacements for the mangled lower seats. I'm worried that the bottom of the spring may interfere with the hubs, etc. Any suggestions?

My solution:
1. Bought hard plastic spring seats on eBay (cheap)
2. Flattened last turn of the springs with vise and torch as described by fiatfreak
3. Turned springs upside down so modified end fits into upper seat where it has less room to move.

Haven't test driven it yet, so the car is in the zen state of "not 'not working'"

azygoustoyou

Postby azygoustoyou » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:46 am

Are you saying you cut the bottom end of the spring?

jpmilesdds

Postby jpmilesdds » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:23 am

I don't remember if the IAP lowering springs had a specific top and bottom. I installed them several years ago. When I cut the last loop off the springs, I did it without removing the springs, so the cut had to be on the bottom. I did this because I thought removing the springs had been a difficult job. Actually it's not. I since have learned that using one jack for the chassis and one jack for the axle makes this a pretty easy job. You don't need to unbolt the top of the shocks or remove the brake rotor.
I'm not suggesting that any of this is correct or smart - it's just what I did. Any better informed comments on why this is all wrong are humbly invited.

dino8925

Postby dino8925 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:48 am

Well I wish I could've seen all this expertise about 3 years ago but I usually mess up first then become an expert at buying a new replacement. I am not sure if this post is past its time but I have a question I didn't find the answer to in this topic. I have cut all four of my springs. I think I cut them all the same amount but either way, it was too much. The car has been riding on the bump stops for the past few years and I am afraid the tires are taking all the beating and will soon expire. Any advice on how to remedy this situation short of making a new purchase and something a shade tree mechanic like myself might accomplish? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!!!!

wachuko
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat 2000 Spider

Postby wachuko » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:30 am

dino8925 wrote:Well I wish I could've seen all this expertise about 3 years ago but I usually mess up first then become an expert at buying a new replacement. I am not sure if this post is past its time but I have a question I didn't find the answer to in this topic. I have cut all four of my springs. I think I cut them all the same amount but either way, it was too much. The car has been riding on the bump stops for the past few years and I am afraid the tires are taking all the beating and will soon expire. Any advice on how to remedy this situation short of making a new purchase and something a shade tree mechanic like myself might accomplish? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!!!!

Best to search for a used set of springs... really...

I don't think using spring spacers or any other workaround would be wise...

Drive Safe!
Wachuko

1981 Fiat Spider Progress thread
1967 912 Progress Thread
1981 911 SC Coupe RS Transformation
1983 911 SC Coupe RSR Transformation
1991 964 C4 Cabriolet Progress Thread
2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2015 FIAT Abarth

jpmilesdds

Postby jpmilesdds » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:43 am

The most recent edition of Grassroots Motorsport magazine has a good article on handling problems. Two of the topics discuss lowering the car too far from factory specs. Apparently steering geometry can suffer, with camber and toe changes in corners and over pavement changes. The other thing they talk about is riding on your bump stops. My understanding is that hitting the bump stops in a corner causes instant weight transfer to the outside tire, leading to drastic understeer or oversteer depending on which end of the car bottoms out first.
If had known all this before, I would not have cut off the springs.
I don't think there is a fix short of replacing the springs.
Oh, and having the springs fall off their perches every time I jack up the car is REALLY annoying.
Live & learn...

azygoustoyou

Postby azygoustoyou » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:39 pm

jpmilesdds wrote:The most recent edition of Grassroots Motorsport magazine has a good article on handling problems. Two of the topics discuss lowering the car too far from factory specs. Apparently steering geometry can suffer, with camber and toe changes in corners and over pavement changes. The other thing they talk about is riding on your bump stops. My understanding is that hitting the bump stops in a corner causes instant weight transfer to the outside tire, leading to drastic understeer or oversteer depending on which end of the car bottoms out first.
Oh, and having the springs fall off their perches every time I jack up the car is REALLY annoying.
Live & learn...

:arrow: I have a stock set 4 sale cheap. Uncut.. All they need is cleaned up.

wachuko

Postby wachuko » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:10 pm

azygoustoyou wrote:
jpmilesdds wrote:The most recent edition of Grassroots Motorsport magazine has a good article on handling problems. Two of the topics discuss lowering the car too far from factory specs. Apparently steering geometry can suffer, with camber and toe changes in corners and over pavement changes. The other thing they talk about is riding on your bump stops. My understanding is that hitting the bump stops in a corner causes instant weight transfer to the outside tire, leading to drastic understeer or oversteer depending on which end of the car bottoms out first.
Live & learn...

:arrow: I have a stock set 4 sale cheap. Uncut.. All they need is cleaned up.

Brady, side question. Do you know how well they hold up if powder coated? I have a spare set from the parts car that I was thinking of cutting and installing in my runner. Not sure if powder coating would hold well for a spring or if it is better to just paint them. :?:
Drive Safe!
Wachuko

1967 912 Progress Thread
2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2015 FIAT Abarth

Europa
Your car is a: 1983 Pininfarina Spidereuropa

Postby Europa » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Jaime, I've been advised in the past not to powder coat springs. Something about the high heat may alter the tensile strength and/or characteristics of the spring. When we used to race RX-7's, I recall plasti-coating the springs. That was a while ago, not sure if anyone still does that.
1983 Spidereuropa
Verde Scuro

wachuko

Postby wachuko » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Europa wrote:Jaime, I've been advised in the past not to powder coat springs. Something about the high heat may alter the tensile strength and/or characteristics of the spring. When we used to race RX-7's, I recall plasti-coating the springs. That was a while ago, not sure if anyone still does that.

Thank you. I will just paint them then.
Drive Safe!
Wachuko

1967 912 Progress Thread
2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2015 FIAT Abarth

SLOSpider
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider 2.0FI

Postby SLOSpider » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:36 am

I have cut my share of springs but its better to get the proper progressive springs in the long run. Much better ride and handling than compared to hacking at the stock springs. There are companies that will make springs to your requirements. Cutting the springs can lead to shocks bottoming out (tearing the top of the shock mounts off, yes it happens), hitting the bump stops constantly and an overall crappy ride. Coil overs are the preferred way to get your ride height unless you just going for looks, then hack away I say.

My Last Fiat with proper lowing springs and 16" wheels:

1975 124 Spider
1976 Mazda Cosmo http://www.mazdacosmo.com
1989 Chevy k5 Blazer
1967 GT Mustang Fastback

Return to “Suspension Related”