Cutting Springs

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
TulsaSpider
Your car is a: 1978 Spyder 124 2L

Re: Cutting Springs

Postby TulsaSpider » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:35 pm

Um the front and rear springs are different I believe!! Nice looking setup! I think mine are ok, and I love the handling!
1978 Spyder 1800 make that 2L! Finally making real progress!

mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Postby mdrburchette » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Very nice work, Darsella. Do you have a pic with it complete?
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!

JDOliver

Postby JDOliver » Mon May 25, 2009 10:45 am

Sorry to be a little late on this but
Stock height.

1 1/2 coils front, 2 coils rear. Control arms are not in their proper positions. I don't think they could be with any modification from a stock spring height but mine are pretty bad. It hasn't affected drive, ride, or handling. I have autocrossed it twice with the original shocks and it is still competative against stock Miatas.

azygoustoyou

Postby azygoustoyou » Mon May 25, 2009 11:48 am

When you say the control arms aren't in their proper positions. Are you saying they are lower then the pivot point? Or not in the same position as normal? Any mod would change the position of course. I would like to lower mine some.
Guys and Gals,
What is the amount of removal that keeps the control arm just above the pivot point on the front and rear? Thx

manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Postby manoa matt » Wed May 27, 2009 1:20 am

JD,

Good job on that car, what a transformation!

JDOliver

Postby JDOliver » Fri May 29, 2009 7:45 pm

Yes, the lower ball joint is higher than the inner pivot causing the arm to point up.
I would guess this is less than ideal.
Thanks on the compliment. Its about time for a redo on the doors and floor.
The interior is not so good.

Daniel
Your car is a: 1979 1966 Spiders Owned and Raced others

Postby Daniel » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:57 am

I lowered my Spider by cutting the stock springs 1 coil in the front and about 1 1/2 in the rear it
came out nice and level that was the look i wanted for the car . The shocks were the KYB GR2s,
the differnce in the ride is a lot here is how i feel the car rides now compared to stock .

Stiffer over bumps and pot holes a little on the rough side when the road is bumpy and has pot
holes, on smooth roads it feels wonderful very sporty and tight in the turns . The body roll is less
then before more so in the rear but when pushed really hard you feel the rear start to come up .
This is the second time i used this setup once on a Brava and now on this Spider . Both Cars
Handled Better in the turns same cutting & Shocks .

Before New Paint and Lowering in stock form

After

On another car i try'd the Koni Fronts and KYBs in the Rear; something about the feel or performance
of the Koni's and KYB's felt wierd together, i couldn't pin point it maybe the different rebound rates and
compression made the car handle funny i would't mix shocks ever again . This is not to say the other
guy is wrong it may just be personal prefernce or lack of the right combo on my part .

I like the look of JDOlivers car it came out really good 2 thumbs up and Darsella1 you did a great job
on the front end you should post some more photos !!!

Daniel
Daniel (the Bandit)

1979 Spider With a Completely Modified Stroker 2207cc Engine, Race Cams, TWM Side Drafts,
High Volume Oil Pump, SW Adjustable Cam Gears what a fun project can't wait to have her completed

mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Postby mdrburchette » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:52 am

Daniel, what's the suspension look like with the front springs cut? I want to do this to a 78 that is being prepped for the 24 hours of Lemons race and there's some concern about whether the lower control arm will still sit parallel or be angled up.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!

pope

Postby pope » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:35 am

Hey Bandit, what is the size of the rims that you have on your car.

azygoustoyou

Postby azygoustoyou » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:24 am

Your car looks very nice Daniel!

ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Postby ga.spyder » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:36 pm

Hey Daniel,we havent heard much from you lately.The car looks great!I have aquired a set of springs(stock 81) and I am going to use your formula to cut them.Werent some of those shots taken during a film shoot,or do you always have a supermodel to fuel your car? :D
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !

joshuagore

Postby joshuagore » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:41 pm

I am selling my cut springs... $60 as is, $85 powder coated gloss red, or gloss black. Price includes shipping.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3577/333 ... 1ec2_o.jpg

Went custom coilover route.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:13 am

Hi Denise
Is this some kind of secret race of some sort ? and how come i haven't heard of it before ? Lemon Race
are you racing around Lemon Trees for 24 hours ?? To answer your Q the Control Arms were close to level
both upper and lower . I cut the springs on the top side to save the bottom portion of the spring that has
the resting stop/ lip to keep the spring from moving around .

So whats this Lemon race all about tell us more or am i just out of the loop ?

Hey pope
These wheels are 15 x 7 if i remember correctly the tire size i used was 195/50/15s might be off a size but
i'm pretty sure thats what was installed . The tires cleared the inside of the fenders no rubbing, one reason
i went with these wheels --- tire options 13 inch tire option are so limited now !!!!

Hi ga.spyder
Yes some of the picturess are from the photo shoot sadly i didn't take many photos of the spider so the few i
do have are of the shoot . Thanks for the compliment, i've been around here and there just not posting much
i was watching for some runs but it seems the new FLU chapter isn't doing much lately . I hope to be at the
next run with a new Fiat i'm shopping for a 124 now .

Thanks azygoustoyou
This is the best looking 124 i've owned so far and hope my next one is even better, i never intended to keep
it so long it was going to be a quick flip but some how ended up keeping the car for 3 years before selling it .

Daniel
Daniel (the Bandit)

1979 Spider With a Completely Modified Stroker 2207cc Engine, Race Cams, TWM Side Drafts,
High Volume Oil Pump, SW Adjustable Cam Gears what a fun project can't wait to have her completed

ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Postby ga.spyder » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:35 am

Hey Daniel,
The 24 Hours of Lemons is a semi- serious 24 hour road race for cars with less than a $500 investment.The car we are building is a donor car(free), we are using the tranny,rear end,and rebuilding the motor.Denises husband has a fuel cell,seat,belts,etc..We are putting new brakes and tires,which are safety items and dont count against the $500.The SCCA cage is a loaner.Should be a blast! Here is the website :shock:
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/ and a great video http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp ... le_id=4674
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi ga.spyder

Thanks for the link i went and checked it out this sounds like a lot of fun how many people will be driving the
Fiat and is anyone video taping . You guys should youtube this event after and post some of it up here .
I think i got the meaning of the name for the race now hehe Good Luck to everyone who is on the Spiders team
it would be cool if you guys win !

Daniel
Daniel (the Bandit)

Return to “Suspension Related”