Cutting Springs

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: Cutting Springs

Postby mdrburchette » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:08 pm

There are 5 of us, ranging from 5'1" to 6'4". It should be quite interesting! Wish we had a video camera. I'll have to see if I can scare one up so we can tape the event for all to see.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!

lamothe13

Postby lamothe13 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:43 am

I've been following the Cutting Springs thread because my 1980 Spider sits higher in the back and I would like to lower it (both front and rear), AND make it level. But the responses for how much to cut the springs seem to vary a LOT. Suggestions for front AND rear spring cuts vary from 1/2 to 2 coils. Is there any consensus, and shouldn't MORE coils be cut from the rear springs since the body needs to be lowered more in the back?

RoadRacer

Postby RoadRacer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:31 am

I just cut two from the front and two from the back.... The top of my fender well to the ground is exactly 23 inches on all 4 wheels, That is as low as my friend's MG. You might not want to cut that much. You can start by cutting 1 or 1.5 off and see how it looks. There is nothing cast in stone... good luck!

Daniel
Your car is a: 1979 1966 Spiders Owned and Raced others

Postby Daniel » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:45 am

Hi Lamothe

I wouldn't cut 2 coils on the rear your travel would be very limited after that and the car would sit very low,
the same go's for the front imo but everyone here seems to have there own taste on height . If your not
sure who or what amount to cut i would try cutting the springs 1/4 coil cuts at a time till you find what your
looking for . Now one thing that isn't really addressed here is the handling on the rear if lowered to much,
the rear links and panhard rod will bind causing the car to lose traction in the rear a lot easyer another
reason not to lower it to far .

The coils on my 79 are cut 1 coil in the front and 1 1/2 in the rear but springs sag over time so yours
may have more or less sag then mine keep that in mind good luck to you .

Daniel
Daniel (the Bandit)

1979 Spider With a Completely Modified Stroker 2207cc Engine, Race Cams, TWM Side Drafts,
High Volume Oil Pump, SW Adjustable Cam Gears what a fun project can't wait to have her completed

RoadRacer

Postby RoadRacer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:10 am

my car with two coils removed on front and rear rides like it is on railroad tracks when going around corners. I get off the exit ramps without slowing down at 60 mph and it handles like a charm :mrgreen:

Daniel
Your car is a: 1979 1966 Spiders Owned and Raced others

Postby Daniel » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:52 pm

But the rear bottoms out going over bumps and dips ! i know cause i try'd 2 coils off the rear the travel is very limited after !

Daniel
Daniel (the Bandit)

1979 Spider With a Completely Modified Stroker 2207cc Engine, Race Cams, TWM Side Drafts,
High Volume Oil Pump, SW Adjustable Cam Gears what a fun project can't wait to have her completed

RoadRacer

Postby RoadRacer » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:09 pm

I haven't bottomed out yet....... I like the travel it has :mrgreen:

sgfiat

Postby sgfiat » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:15 pm

Does anyone know the overall height of the front and rear springs when out of the car ? I would like to lower the car but its been awhile since the car was whole and not sure if PO cut them already. Would like to assemble once if you know what i mean. oh its a 77 124

gergar

Postby gergar » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:27 pm

i have a question for clarification. the point was made in an earlier post but wasn;t answered. so...

if/when i cut the rear springs is there a concern about the springs losing their integrity/strength?
also, because the original spring has a flat section that seats in the cup, does the cut end of the spring now dig in and cause any excessive wear? should i be using a shim to compensate?

thanx

g

fiatfreak
Your car is a: 1969 124 Spider

Postby fiatfreak » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:24 pm

gergar wrote:i have a question for clarification. the point was made in an earlier post but wasn;t answered. so...

if/when i cut the rear springs is there a concern about the springs losing their integrity/strength?
also, because the original spring has a flat section that seats in the cup, does the cut end of the spring now dig in and cause any excessive wear? should i be using a shim to compensate?

I cut the springs with an abrasive cutoff saw and I ALWAYS reshape the last coil by heating it with a torch and bending it in a vice. I know lots of people who don't do this, but why do you think it was that way in the first place???

azygoustoyou

Postby azygoustoyou » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Wouldn't heating it weaken it? Do you have a pic of the finish product?

fiatfreak
Your car is a: 1969 124 Spider

Postby fiatfreak » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:30 pm

azygoustoyou wrote:Wouldn't heating it weaken it? Do you have a pic of the finish product?

Well, I've been told to quench them. But what I do is clamp the spring in the vise where I'm going to heat and bend it, and I also clamp a half dozen vise grips to the spring 'upstream' to act as a heat sink. By doing so, I'm not affecting the spring's temper, other than the 'dead' coil at the end of the spring.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures, but they look just like a stock coil, only fewer coils. I've done this more times than I can count! Mostly on Scorpions, but also X1/9s and Spiders.

pope

Postby pope » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:39 pm

I always cut my springs in the middle so that it doesnt affect the ends! :shock:

Carlito
Your car is a: 78 124Spider

Postby Carlito » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:04 am

Hi guys:-)

First of all I must say that I really love this forum!!!

I've been a Spider freak for some years now.. had a few.. but finally have a chance to modify one the way I like (mainly due to the fact that I finally!!!!.. have a spacious garage for this project!!)
So I'm trying to do everything right and be as precise as possible!:-)
My 78 Spider is almost ready for paint now.
As many of you here, I don't like the way how high it sits either.

Here are some pix:

First day in my new garage:-)

ALL PIX ARE TAKEN WITH THE CAR SITTING ON THE GROUND!
After removing both tubular bumpers (will never go back on the car!), the wheel well/tire distance is about 5.5"

Bump stop/rear axle distance is about 4".

and the front sits at 4.5" (engine still in)!!!

So I'm considering buying a set of new lowered springs (probably German made). My question is if I still might leave the existing Bilsteins in place (they look pretty long... seems to me!) or I'd have to go for new shocks as well..

What's your take on this?
Thanks for your input!!:-)

Work in progress.....:-)

Carlito:-)
Currently residing in The Czech Republic, Europe

jpmilesdds

Postby jpmilesdds » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:11 pm

New question about cutting springs:
I have IAP' lowering springs front and rear. I wanted the car lower yet, so I cut one rung off each. The cars sits nicely now, but I'm not sure the springs are seating properly in the upper and lower locators. At the back, the plastic/rubber seats are completely mangled and the springs in droop move all over the place. At the top. the springs can seat on the rim of the locating platform rather than around its circumference. I haven't found replacements for the mangled lower seats. I'm worried that the bottom of the spring may interfere with the hubs, etc. Any suggestions?

Return to “Suspension Related”