Spring Rates- Early Spider vs Late

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Shadoobie
Your car is a: 1979 Pininfarina Spider 2000

Spring Rates- Early Spider vs Late

Postby Shadoobie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:03 am

Someone mentioned in a previous post that the '74 back Spiders have pre-regulation European ride height. I happen to have a 1970 parts car, and I'd like to convert to the early style springs if they're lower. However, I don't want to compromise the smooth ride of my '79. So if the early Spiders do have shorter springs, do they have different spring rates?

gchocevar
Your car is a: 1979 Pininfarina 2000

Re: Spring Rates- Early Spider vs Late

Postby gchocevar » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi,

I can't inform you on spring rates from different years of Spiders', but I can inform you of what I learned last year with my 79.

The 79 bumpers add about 30 pounds to the front and another 30 to the back. I interpret this to mean the springs might have different spring rates. Koni's also ride lower than the gas filled KYB's. I have KYB's and I wish that I paid the extra for the Koni's. Without altering the stock 79 springs I would still get a lot of roll and tire squeals going around tight turns. I bought the set of performance springs from VICK's and made his recommendations of cutting one coil off the rear's if you have KYB's and the large bumper spider. The car sat level to the ground. The only negative was that you are missing another inch all-around so when you try and do oil changes you might need to buy a new catch pan. I does not have the body roll around curves and the cornering is greatly improved, plus no squealing either. It is not a harsh ride.

If you want to try something to get you car level without spending money, try cutting a coil off the standard rear coils only. If that doesn't work for you, then go with performance springs.

Greg

Return to “Suspension Related”