Panhard rod question

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Martyn
Your car is a: 1985 Pininfarina Spider Europa

Re: Panhard rod question

Postby Martyn » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:08 pm

The trailing arm mounts at the lower end aren't attached to the rear axle at all, which is clear from the photo. It is this part that is potentially fouling the panhard rod. The weld is all on the top half of the axle. But it looks as though that the lower parts of the mounts were never welded to the axle. Not sure what purpose they serve if they're not fixed to the axle. I will check the weld this weekend and the alignment of wheels and see whether I can come up with some answers and post again. :?

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 am

Looking at everyone else's photos the trailing arm mounts have no gaps on them between the arc of their bases and the axle tube. Yours with that large gap appear to have your pinion pointed at an upward angle and the entire rear axle shifted forward allowing the trailing arm mounts to hit the panhard rod.

Martyn

Postby Martyn » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:10 pm

Checked welds and all OK and wheels are aligned.

On close inspection the gap between the support rod mount and the panhard rod is about 2mm. I cannot see any scratches on the panhard rod so it would appear they don't touch when the car is driven. The panhard rod itself looks OK. I don't really understand why the support mounts extend down below the welds.

I will be renewing bushings so that might increase the gap beyond 2mm.

Thanks for all suggestions and photos.

Martyn

Postby Martyn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:14 am

Hi Dieselspider,

Our postings seemed to cross. I didn't see your before I posted last time.

I agree that my mounts look different in that they extend down beyond the weld. Seems to serve no purpose.

I cant see how the rear axle is misaligned though. Both upper and lower support arms fit OK and wheels are central to wheel arch. But clearly something is amiss.

I hope to get it up on a ramp later in the week and maybe something will be more apparent.

azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Postby azruss » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:34 pm

If you don't see any rub marks then your noise issue may not be the panhard rod at all. Start looking elsewhere.

DieselSpider

Postby DieselSpider » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:56 am

Martyn wrote:Hi Dieselspider,

Our postings seemed to cross. I didn't see your before I posted last time.

I agree that my mounts look different in that they extend down beyond the weld. Seems to serve no purpose.

I cant see how the rear axle is misaligned though. Both upper and lower support arms fit OK and wheels are central to wheel arch. But clearly something is amiss.

I hope to get it up on a ramp later in the week and maybe something will be more apparent.

When the upper trailing arm bracket is tight to the axle the upper arm will sit lower and the axle will rotate the bottom mount of the panhard bar back a bit and the top of the axle forward making for more clearance between the upper trailing arm mount and the panhard bar. The actual position of the wheels front to back may not change at all. On the others I have seen there is only enough space between the bottom of the bracket and the axle tube to tuck the brake line up there about 3/16 of an inch.

Martyn

Postby Martyn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:25 am

Hi DieselSpider,

Thanks for the explanation, I think I understand: the axle is rotated slightly on its axis, causing the mount to sit closer to the panhard rod.

I guess the issue now is how has this happened? The fixings to the chassis and axle for the support arms all look good and original and a mechanic friend has checked bushings and they all look fine to him.

I will look again with your explanation and see if anything looks out of place. Thanks again.

Martyn

Postby Martyn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:56 am

Took car out today and creak/grind from rear end - intermittent then stopped. Took photo of panhard rod and support mount while car on ground (i.e., not on jacks). It clearly shows there has been contact. Could it be that one of components is non-standard and therefore there is misalignment?

DieselSpider

Postby DieselSpider » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Looks like the axle is sliding backward and forward to be hitting like that. Really should not drive the car until you get that taken care of.

Return to “Suspension Related”