Cutting stock springs

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
gandyrail
Your car is a: 1981 2000

Cutting stock springs

Postby gandyrail » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:32 pm

I have to rebush my car and thinking about lowering the car at that time; some questions?
I have a 1981 with tube bumpers.
Does anyone know if stock springs are progressive?
Does it matter whether you cut off the top of spring or the bottom?
It sounds like everyone is cutting off the top, is there a reason?
if the springs are progressive, I would think a need to cut equally from top and bottom
Gandyrail

klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Re: Cutting stock springs

Postby klweimer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:37 am

I'm pretty sure the original springs aren't progressive. They sure didn't look like it when I had mine out. Lots of threads here on cutting them, with the biggest issues being harsher ride and possibly having them pop off their mounts under full suspension travel. I didn't cut mine, but wish I had splurged for new ones when I rebuilt my suspension. If you're in there, I would also look at the condition of your rubber spring seats. Mine are like rocks and I wish I replaced those too.
Kirk

gandyrail
Your car is a: 1981 2000

Postby gandyrail » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:02 pm

Thanks Kirk
I have been busy but did get the passenger side off.
The rubber on top of spring does not look to bad. I could not find new ones in stock

md88plt
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat spider

Postby md88plt » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:37 am

I have a 1979 and initially cut the stock springs. After I replaced all the control arm bushings and ball joints I purchased springs fron Allison Auto. Big difference and well worth it. Car was lowered about 1 1/2 inches. I changed the bumpers to pre 1974 chrome bumpers and car is about 1/2 inch higher. I would post a pictures but I can't figured the picture post process of this site ( and the instructions for picture posting don't work for me). Cutting the stock springs is a lot of work for not so good results. I would definitely go for new progressive springs.

profcucchi
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat 2000

Postby profcucchi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:06 pm

I asked a Fiat/Alfa mechanic about cutting springs and he said that once done, you get "seat-hurt" and, more importantly, you're changing the geometry of the car.

I was "this" close to doing it, but... I'll wait on getting the springs.
1979 Fiat 2000 "Luigi"

Return to “Suspension Related”