front end groan

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
BammBamm
Your car is a: 1982 Pininfarina Spider

front end groan

Postby BammBamm » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:43 pm

My 82 spider sounds horrible from the first time i drove it. In particular there was creek that happened in the front passenger side. Like a bolt that was a half turn loose. All of the rubber was bad in the suspension. So I did all the back and all the front rubber. All the brakes and steering, yet the creek continues. It happens when i brake (sometimes) or the suspension moves but not always. At rest i can lift the push the front end down with no noise. I have checked the crossmember bolts and every bolt with the suspension. The steering is all tight including the idler arm. I was thinking maybe the swaybars is just making noise. I can see the bar move alot in its rubber mounts. Ideas or suggestions are welcome.
Bill Woodbury
Design Engineer
Zero Shock Seating
1982 Spider 2000

AndyVAS
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: front end groan

Postby AndyVAS » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:41 pm

You can drive the car without the sway bar, just be gentle. So start by removing it and listen.

If that does nothing for the noise, try removing the shocks. You won't want to drive very much without them.

If the noise is still there, spray the bushings and pivots with lithium spray lube. One at a time.

You'll find it before long. Just be patient.
Andy Phillips
Vick Auto - Technician, Performance Engine Builder & PFI Developer (with ITBs)
http://www.vickauto.com
Stock parts or Performance parts we've got what you need.

wizard124
Your car is a: 1980 spider FI

Postby wizard124 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:17 am

Maybe rear linkage rubbing exhaust pipe?
Exhaust bracket where it attaches at transmission?
Catalytic converter rubbing body?

JohnMc
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat 124

Postby JohnMc » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:40 am

When I replaced the front suspension I also replaced the bushings on the front suspension - as they were really bad and could there was movement of the sway bar.
IMHO i would not lube the bushings - they are supposed to be tight and stay in place. I tried that back in 1972 with my '69 124 with the bushings on the control arms as they were already deteriorating and was band-aid and seemed to deteriorate the rubber even more - but so long ago do not know what I put on it. But still think they need to be tight with no lube.

last year on my '70 I did all the control arms with new bushings, new bushings on the sway bar (which was miserable to do) and tie rods and steering link at the same time as well as AR springs and the shocks from VAS it was just an amazing change.

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:47 pm

On mine it was the lube not reaching the bottom bearing on the idler arm. Opening up the top and removing all the valve body parts and cleaning them along with flushing the well out before filling each section up with synthetic gear lube is what it took to get it all quieted down.

Return to “Suspension Related”