1980 spider sitting high in back, rough ride

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Smittyspider
Your car is a: 1980 2000 Spider FI

1980 spider sitting high in back, rough ride

Postby Smittyspider » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:11 pm

I'm new to Fiat Spiders... mine is an injected '80 that I've owned for 2 weeks. Appears to have recently installed upper trailing arms in back. It seems to sit high in back, and it feels like the rear suspension is extremely stiff. Is there a common issue that causes this? Could those new arms be over tightened? Maybe gas pressurized shocks? It seriously rides like a brick truck right now... I test drove it on some smooth roads, but all of the SE Michigan roads around me are awful. I was planning to either customers the springs a little or install lowering springs, but if it rides any rougher than this...

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Re: 1980 spider sitting high in back, rough ride

Postby So Cal Mark » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:08 pm

if the car has been sitting for awhile, it's common for the hydraulic shocks to seize. It makes driving impossible
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

TStark
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Postby TStark » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:50 am

additionally, maybe someone torqued the trailing arms with the axle drooped and the body on stands.

Consider loosening all eight trailing arm bolts and let the bushings relax with car weight on the axle, then torque them with the car on ground or at least with the axle on the stands.

Smittyspider
Your car is a: 1980 2000 Spider FI

Postby Smittyspider » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Did some investigating today. Found that the rear suspension is completely locked up, which is what it feels like to drive it. I thought I found a smoking gun, as one of the new short arms had almost completely come off of its bushing and was binding badly. Loosened both sides, fixed the bushing, and still no suspension movement so I guess its the shocks.

What are the best reasonably priced shocks for a 1" drop spring? Looks like the springs have to be removed to get the shocks out? Since I was going to do springs anyway, might as well do it all in one shot.

Schock00
Your car is a: 1982 Pinnifarina

Postby Schock00 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:16 am

Did replacing the shocks fix your issue? I got my 81 fiat back from the paint shop in the back suspension is completely locked up. I can't imagine both shocks going bad at the same time .

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Postby So Cal Mark » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:46 am

it's really common to find the oem shocks seized after the car sits for a long period
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

Return to “Suspension Related”