Front End Bushing Replacement

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
LISpider
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Front End Bushing Replacement

Postby LISpider » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:02 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation for upper/lower control arm bushing replacements? Sway bar? Quantities needed? Is the job difficult, any special tools needed?

Thanks, :D

njoconnor
Your car is a: 1972 124 Spider

Re: Front End Bushing Replacement

Postby njoconnor » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:34 pm

One of the first things I'd recommend is balancing the work of replacing the bushings vs using new control arms with bushing already installed. All of the usual part vendors seem to carry the arms with installed bushings, and once you contemplate your time/car's down time, you may be further ahead doing the whole control arm swap. Goes double if there's *anything* suspect about any of your current c-arms.

If you decide to go the bushing only route, Thad Kirk's FAQ from the Mirafiori site is pretty clear on process and tools needed.

http://www.mirafiori.com/~thad/bushing.html

Note that a good selection of sockets and a stable, strong vise are the main tools needed, and definitely borrow/purchase (they are not expensive) a coil spring compressor. Safety, safety, safety. Some folks have had variable experiences with bench mounted presses as well.

If you decide to replace the c-arms entirely, I found Richard Ridge's FAQ, also from Mirafiori, to be indispensable when I replaced my front suspension. He even includes torque settings (confirmed with my factory manual),which made the task easier and faster. Again, for either job, a good selection of sockets, compressor, and torque wrench strongly recommended.

Sway bar bushings are interesting. EZ off, but a bear (especially the outboard ones) to get back on. I replaced the bushing mounts when I did mine, changing from the peened/welded originals, to the 2 piece versions sold by the vendors. Loosely install the two center bushings/brackets, then use a floor jack to raise/lower the lower c-arm until the bushing bracket and the studs on the c-arm line up. Take your time, and persist.

Quantities: I know one vendor (A/R) sells a complete set of 8 front c-arm bushings, and I'd be surprised if others did not as well. Need 4 sway bar bushings. C-arms themselves are sold individually.

Search the forum for 4uall's, 70spider's, rjkoop's, and my threads (among many others) on suspension work. Lots of pix from all of us, as well as avoidable moments. Take your time, remember this is supposed to be part of the fun, and then enjoy the improved feel of the car with new rubber at all the front suspension points (you may then be tempted to do the rear end as well!!). Keep posting on your progress, and ask for help; it's what makes this forum so invaluable.

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
14 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Eco-Diesel
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe
and a host of Audi's, Saabs, VW's, MOPAR's, Fords, and a Bimmer....

LISpider
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Re: Front End Bushing Replacement

Postby LISpider » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:56 pm

Thanks Neil. I will check out the links and give it a shot. Appreciate your help.

Return to “Suspension Related”