Wheel bearing replacements

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
GLIDER
Your car is a: 1982 spider

Wheel bearing replacements

Postby GLIDER » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:08 pm

the spider has been sitting for almost 2 years getting painted etc, I've changed fluids and am thinking of replacing the wheel bearings. I haven't done this in the 10 years I've had her- hasn't been driven much either . Does anyone have any words of wisdom in replacing them and or links for the dumb down :?:

4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Re: Wheel bearing replacements

Postby 4uall » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:48 pm

Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY

GLIDER
Your car is a: 1982 spider

Postby GLIDER » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:20 pm

Thx, good links

narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Postby narfire » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks for the link jay. I have a stripped wheel bolt hole and have to swap out a hub. It's been a while since I've had the front hubs off.
I just need a source for the spindle nut here in Canada. Sorry but the exchange is too great to purchase much from the States right now.
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box

4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Postby 4uall » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:35 pm

um, they are only $2.90 each http://www.autoricambi.us/product/BG8-417/Spindle-Nut---Left-Front/

I'm sure you can get one anywhere, just bring in the old one and match it up :wink:
Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY

njoconnor
Your car is a: 1972 124 Spider

Postby njoconnor » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:10 am

Those videos are very helpful, and I was surprised at how quickly the bearing change out went for me. Coupla suggestions:

1) buy/rent/borrow a torque wrench which actually goes down to 5 ftlbs. I found a 3/8 drive Craftsman wich reads out in inch lbs, so I did the conversion (ft lbs x 12), and used that to do the prress down and final torques on the hub nuts. Mine was $40 on sale, I suspect HF would be even cheaper. 5 ft lbs is a lot less than I thought.

2) I appreciated the clear demo on hand acking the bearing. But Carlisle makes a nifty little device which uses a plunger and cup to push grease into the bearing. Supposedly, it can be used to push the old grease out with the new, but I soaked the bearings in thinner for a few days, then scrubbed them out and air dried them. Cup is neater, and gets grease into all the small spots.

Best wishes with the effort; it's one of those "worth it" jobs.....

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
14 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Eco-Diesel
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe
and a host of Audi's, Saabs, VW's, MOPAR's, Fords, and a Bimmer....

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:22 am

The hand packing demo unfortunately is not quite Kosher. The rest of the video is very good its just the bearing packing that's not quite right.

This Hand Packing method from the The Farm Journal matches the method prescribed by Motors Manual for close to 100 years. This is Packing while the other method is more like Smearing grease on the outside of the bearing with the hopes that enough will get inside where it needs to be. The Packing Method is a much more thorough and reliable method of greasing roller bearings by hand. It may take a couple more minutes but when your done you know its done right because you can see the grease flow up out from one end of the rollers through the other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BhL1uAp_WCw

The Carlile, Leslie and other packing jigs follow the same basic principle as the method shown in the AGRI/Farm Journal video.

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Postby baltobernie » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:54 am

njoconnor wrote:... then scrubbed them out and air dried them.
Air drying is correct, but guys, don't use compressed air to hurry the process. Spinning the unlubricated bearings will ruin them immediately.

njoconnor
Your car is a: 1972 124 Spider

Postby njoconnor » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:31 pm

I air dry the old fashioned way: let 'em sit there for a day or two on clean paper towels!

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
14 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Eco-Diesel
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe
and a host of Audi's, Saabs, VW's, MOPAR's, Fords, and a Bimmer....

sgkent

Postby sgkent » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:03 pm

baltobernie wrote:
Air drying is correct, but guys, don't use compressed air to hurry the process. Spinning the unlubricated bearings will ruin them immediately.

I always thought the same thing but reading a bearing manufacturer's white paper the other day there is another more important reason none of us considered. The rollers come flying out without warning with considerable force, and loss of eyesight, broken teeth etc. can result. You can also put the pieces through car and house windows etc. like slow moving shotgun pellets, sending glass everywhere, or denting metal and chipping paint. That is their main concern on not spinning bearings.

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:40 pm

sgkent wrote:
baltobernie wrote:

I always thought the same thing but reading a bearing manufacturer's white paper the other day there is another more important reason none of us considered. The rollers come flying out without warning with considerable force, and loss of eyesight, broken teeth etc. can result. You can also put the pieces through car and house windows etc. like slow moving shotgun pellets, sending glass everywhere, or denting metal and chipping paint. That is their main concern on not spinning bearings.

Note that carjackers will get into your car quickly by just tossing a roller from a wheel bearing at your side window to instantly shatter it. You can view a steel roller from a bearing as about the same as a small hammer being tossed at you.

Return to “Suspension Related”