Panhard rod bent?

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
InfinityAero
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

Re: Panhard rod bent?

Postby InfinityAero » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:12 pm

InfinityAero wrote:
rjkoop wrote:After straightening and reinstalling a few moths ago car tracks straight and no uneven wear on tires. Had the alignment done and they didn't notice anything out of whack. That being said I'm probably redoing the rear suspension over the winter. And at that point I'll replace the panhard rod.

Crazy, you'd think with a rod that warped the thrust line would be way off, guess the components all wore together in a good way...

Ah, disregard, just saw your note that you'd straightened it.

Prob a good opportunity to fab up a watts linkage if you're so inclined...

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:51 am

rjkoop wrote:After straightening and reinstalling a few moths ago car tracks straight and no uneven wear on tires. Had the alignment done and they didn't notice anything out of whack. That being said I'm probably redoing the rear suspension over the winter. And at that point I'll replace the panhard rod.

Its weak and brittle now so ditch the probably since you do not want to find out how weak and brittle it is on a bumpy curve at any speed. Make definite plans to replace it.

rjkoop
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Postby rjkoop » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:03 am

DieselSpider wrote:

Its weak and brittle now so ditch the probably since you do not want to find out how weak and brittle it is on a bumpy curve at any speed. Make definite plans to replace it.

Yep. Agreed. Kind of POed that the tow truck driver used this to pull the car. You think they'd know. At the time I was new to the car and didn't even know what a panhard rod was! :shock:

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:56 pm

I was fortunate that the driver who put mine on the flatbed took one look and then stepped back to consider. He was very careful and treated it with kid gloves saying that one does not see enough of these around any more.

The extra care actually started with the Good Sams Dispatcher who insisted on the flatbed when I told her is was a Fiat Spider.

Return to “Suspension Related”