tubular control arms

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
PatTroy
Your car is a: 1972 124 Spider

Re: tubular control arms

Postby PatTroy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:52 am

Kinda bringing this one back from the dead, but I will agree 10 degrees is way too much camber (for the weight of the car and the size of tire).

I will likely be doing tubular arms for a few reasons on my car. The first is that the poly bushes are not stiff enough for the grip my car makes. Spherical joints are needed with good, modern tires. The next is the sway bar needs adjust able end links to properly remove preload. Also, by changing the upper ball joint, it should be able to be slotted to allow caster adjustment independent of camber (which the shim method is not).

I'll likely do sphericals in all the rear arms too.

Sparky
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124

Re: tubular control arms

Postby Sparky » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:45 pm

So Cal Mark wrote:sadly no, I haven't been able to find a mfg that is willing to take on the project unless we order more than 1000 pieces

If you want to share your drawings, i might be able to do some small batch manufacturing. I'd be interested in running some FEA on the tube ultra design and see if comparable strength can be matched with billet pieces. I saw the stock units available at pretty reasonable pricing, but I'm no fan of messing with shims to get all the alignment factors dialed in.
-= 1978 Fiat Spider =-

Return to “Suspension Related”