Front end lower then Rear

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
NSFIAT
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina

Re: Front end lower then Rear

Postby NSFIAT » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:34 am

I just replaced the centre muffler (Vicks) and the rear muffler (Rock Auto).

Earlier this year I had the car inspected and had to replace the springs. I went with a set from AR (amazing how nice the ride feels). Immediately after the install I noted a metal on metal vibrating sound on bumps. Shortly thereafter the centre muffler let go (original piece on an '81 - it was done!).

I thought the noise was the internal baffle. Replaced with the aforementioned components and the noise persisted. Finally narrowed it down to the exhaust hitting the panhard rod on bumps. Shy of heating it up and bending it, is there anything that can be done?

klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Postby klweimer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:06 am

I had the same problem when I put in my new exhaust. I added an aftermarket exhaust hanger on the pipe as it goes up to the bend over the pan hard and through bolted it to the floor pan of the car. I had the back seat out, so it was easy to access the area to drill a whole through. No more rattle!
Kirk

giuliot60
Your car is a: 81 Fiat Turbo removed Spider

Postby giuliot60 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:05 am

Yep. That's what you (and I) need to do. I've had the bracket for some time now, just haven't gotten to it.

Csaba from AR recommended attaching the bracket to wear the rear seat belt bolts are/would be. My 81 doesn't have the holes, so I've been a little reluctant. :)

Oh, and I've since replaced my springs with AR's lowering progressive springs, so exhaust is practically sitting on pan hard rod now.

GT
Giulio/Charlotte
1st car '75 pistachio 128 sedan
Owned a '74 Spider, '68 Firebird, a '65 GTO convertible, and a customized '74 650 Yamaha
Currently own an '81 Turbo (removed) Spider

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:41 pm

Be sure to attach the extra hangers to a reinforced area. On mine the previous owner added his own hangers bypassing the OEM by just putting holes in the middle of sheet metal such as the trunk pan and used metal strap hangers which just send direct exhaust system vibrations to the floor pans to get amplified like on an old fashioned Victrola. Still better than the new Mustangs with an MP3 chip in the radio loaded with exhaust notes that are played at various levels through the cars speakers depending on throttle position.

NSFIAT
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina

Postby NSFIAT » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:57 am

Thanks everyone! I'll go the bracket route - the thought of heating things up and trying to get the right bend doesn't excite me.

Return to “Suspension Related”