Hello again

If you just registered, post a brief greeting in here.
Mikolobe
Your car is a: 1980 spider 2000

Hello again

Postby Mikolobe » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Hello again, Lol

I had joined the forum way back on 2015 when my son picked out his first car (1980 spider 2k, 5 speed, carbeurated)
after really looking at the car there was no way i was gonna put my youngest son in that, awesome lil car, but hell no! Way too many jacked up 4X4s here for that. he would be completely ran over. Long story short, i sold my 96 trans Am Ram air Ws6 and put him in a nice 07 civic, complete with safety features, relief! and I assumed the spider. over the course of the past two years i have disassembled the entire car replaced all bushings and ball joints, upgraded the brake disc, patched several floor panels, cleaned and painted everything as it went back together, motor and tranny out (2X), engine bay cleaned/prepped/painted, did the gas tank, trunk the same. most of the body work is done, all major repairs anyway. at the point now of reassembly and the laptop i had all the before and during disassembly on is fried. so that makes the process a bit of a bith. making headway though. i plan on building the car without a top. gonna be garaged all the time anyway so a old style button tonneau will suffice for sudden showers.

I have been systematically scanning all the subject post. so much great information, and some of awesome work. quite inspirational i must say, LOL. I have gotten some great ideas as well as ruled out some others i had. i will say that the bane of my existence right now would be re hanging the drivers side door, it will not work with me. crazy gaps, lol. and the clutch assembly, mainly the throw out bearing, the arm, and the cable, i mentioned before the motor and tranny came out twice, this is part of the reason why. the other being i really wanted a color match engine compartment with the new paint. about to Mosey on over to the general maint page and see what i can dig up.

Definitely wanted to be cordial before i started asking a plethora of questions. Thanks in advance .

Justice777
Your car is a: 1978 Spider 124 5 spd

Re: Hello again

Postby Justice777 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:59 am

i plan on building the car without a top.

Me too! Esp. since I have no desire what-so-ever to drive mine w/ top up. Even so, if I can manage to find a decent looking trim for the exposed lip, to put the top back on - say for a weekend trip, I can't imaging it taking more than an hour.
I think just a "U" shaped trim / molding, upside down of course, pushed on to the lip might do the trick.

Mikolobe

Postby Mikolobe » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:01 pm

i really dislike the way the top looks when folded down, kills the sleek look. i haven't even started thinking about how i am gonna finish the tops. probably along the same lines as you were thinking. i def dont wanna make any structural changes. i think it would best to leave it so the top can be easily put back on, lmao, "easily" that frame and new top was one of the reasons i decided to do topless. quite a Daunting task from the looks of it. i have a brand new top that came with the car, even attempted to put it on the frame. nope! lol,

Justice777

Postby Justice777 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:40 am

Last week I was showing a friend. I held the vinyl covered metal trim that screws to interior just below the spot welded lip we'd like to cover. He suggested covering the lip with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Seal-Rubber/b/re ... eal+Rubber

On my car the lip varies between 1/2" and 5/8" tall, so maybe I can find molding 5/8" height and some way to trim out the cut ends.

Mikolobe

Postby Mikolobe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:53 pm

thats the exact thing i was thinking about using to cover the little lip. keep it simple and clean looking
great minds and shit, LOL

azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Postby azruss » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:50 pm

I did mine that way. It doesn't cover up the entire seam, but looks plenty presentable.

Justice777

Postby Justice777 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:10 pm

This seems an inexpensive molding that would work to trim out the spot welded lip if going topless:

https://www.zoro.com/trim-lok-inc-edge- ... ifications

I could probably get students to 3-D print nice end caps if I can't find something off the shelf. Awesome that elementary school students are 3-D printing some pretty nice items.

Return to “New Members / Introductions”