If you just registered, post a brief greeting in here.
24cupid
Your car is a: 1985-5 fiat spider

Postby 24cupid » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Hello members,
Just signed up a few days ago and I'm new to this chat thing. (was old when chatting got started and now even older) lol
We have a 1985 1/2 Fiat spider in Azzurro blue with tan interior that we are currently repainting hopefully ready by next spring. I am now searching for a project car that I need some question answered from the members.
I like the look of the early spiders ie: '72-'74. the ones I keep finding are all in bad shape. I was thinking of picking up a late model spider ie: '79-'82 and swapping out the doors and bumpers. Are the doors and bumpers interchangeable???? with the two body styles???????

Frank..........

azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: new member

Postby azruss » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:48 am

welcome, Frank. much to do to get a post bumper to look like a pre bumper. The bumpers do not interchange. some bracket mods and the body holes in the front need to be modified slightly. The ends of early bumper bolt to the fenders. Also, the split rear bumpers bolt to the rear corner rockers, so some modification is required there. Your front signals are in the bumper, so you will need to fix that. Lots of different ideas put forth in the forum, none of them fit the wrap around turn signals. When I looked at this mod, it looked mission impossible so I went with harley turn signals in the grill and made custom brackets. The post bumper cars have taller springs. This is an easy fix with aftermarket springs. The rear license plate is moved lower between the split bumpers. The license plate lights are also located in the ends of the split bumper. The newer the hood, the more dolphin nosed it is. This was for radiator neck clearance and hood spring clearance. The hinges are different with the older ones having a smaller pin. Some latch modifications are needed as well. You may need to have the radiator neck shortened. Any radiator shop can do this. I haven't tried changing out doors. Finding old straight doors and a newer straight body could be tougher than finding just an old car. The instrument clusters are different with the early cars having an oil pressure gauge. This also changes the tach idiot lights as well. This requires some wiring mods. Lots more little picky things if you want to get down to all the little detail differences.

24cupid
Your car is a: 1985-5 fiat spider

Re: new member

Postby 24cupid » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Thanks for the info azruss. All good points.
I was just thinking of exchanging the bumpers and doors (of the earlier spider) onto the more recent spider. Less complicated.

Frank

Return to “New Members / Introductions”