NEWS Update May 18, 2017

If you have and idea, a problem, or an accolade, post here.
samakijoe
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124

NEWS Update May 18, 2017

Postby samakijoe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:24 pm

I came across the topic, as noted above, with this heading in an other section. I would like to say that I appreciate all the hard work it takes to run a site like this one. ( keeping the "crazies " out, etc.) I have learned a lot in a short time as a new owner of a 124 spider. I am active in a few other users discussion sites. (Alfa Romeo, boat builders, Motor Homes, ..) On all the others there is a quick and easy way to add pictures to your postings. I've read here where others have had problems posting pictures. I realize that it can be done (posting pictures) but it takes a bit of "fiddling". What I'm asking is that the guys in control approach the software people and ask them add this feature to the web site. I can't imagine that it is "too difficult" to do.
Thanks
SAMAKIJOE
AKA GRANDPA GRUMPYPANTS

Site Owner
Site Admin

Re: NEWS Update May 18, 2017

Postby Site Owner » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:23 am

samakijoe,
Glad you found us and I'm even more glad to hear that this site has helped you out! I want to address your suggestion and offer some background and explanation. First, I am the sole owner and guy in control of this site. And I'm also the "software people" ;-) Implementing picture posting within the site is not a question of how to do it. It would be very easy to do. There are two specific reasons why I do not have this feature enabled on this site.

1) When you open your site and server to uploads like images, you significantly increase the odds of malicious files entering the server environment. Malware is often embedded and can be easily concealed as an image file. I already spend on average about an hour a day just weeding out the hackers and spammers trying to get into this site.

2) Storage space: Space cost money, not only from server providers but also in backup storage and time to backup. Our database for FiatSpider.com is already HUGE. We are headed towards 14,000 registered users. Now, I know that only a fraction of those registered users are active and post, but through admin tools I can view the number of active users by date ranges and I know that more than half of the registered users are active and a large percentage of those post often enough. If I allowed uploads, the space needed would increase dramatically along with maintenance costs, which are already approaching challenging levels. I have kept this site free to use for twenty years now, and I'd like to continue to do that but in order to do that, we need to keep the costs under control. Which BTW, we also need ongoing donations, so if this site has provided significant value please consider giving back through a donation.

There are plenty of alternative solutions for posting pictures. One of our more active members, "RRoller123" has been very helpful in showing people how to post pictures and offers these links:

http://www.fiatspider.com/f15/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32169

And here is another picture-posting thread:

http://www.fiatspider.com/f15/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23084

This short instruction covers how to resize pictures so that they don’t get cut off at the right side:

http://www.fiatspider.com/f15/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30441

If you look through the posts on this site, you will see PLENTY of pictures. I know it requires a little more effort but that's a small price to pay I think. Hope this helps you (and everyone for that matter) understand the picture issue better.

Thanks,
Evan
Founder & Owner
FiatSpider.com

samakijoe
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124

Postby samakijoe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Evan: Thanks for all you efforts in keeping this great site up.
I now understand more about issues of not having the options I asked about on the sire.

Oh, I almost forgot, The check is in the mail ... :wink:

PS: For all you guys out there, it might be time to open up your check book (or PayPal).

Or as Perry Como would say, "Let's keep those cards and letter coming" :)
SAMAKIJOE
AKA GRANDPA GRUMPYPANTS

Site Owner
Site Admin

Postby Site Owner » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Thanks Joe!
I really appreciate the support and understanding.

=e=
Founder & Owner
FiatSpider.com

njspider
Your car is a: 1982 spider

Postby njspider » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:23 pm

Perry Como!! You must be as old as me!!!!

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Postby So Cal Mark » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:12 pm

it's very easy to add pics and I recommend Imgur as your picture hosting site, it beats the heck out of photobucket
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

Return to “Discussions About This Site”